What are the benfits of a UFirst Account

Dell_Boy

Can anyone tell me what are the benefits of a Ulster Bank UFirst account? As far as Im concerned I am paying 9 euro a month for nothing as they offer free banking anyway.

Discount of 0.1% on their tracker mortgages.

Other discounts available, but still may not be the best value, e.g. home insurance, or that useful.

I have one of these too, I wasn't told about the charge until I asked what it was after it appeared on my statement! They told me you can get discounts on hotels and restaurants, concerts etc with it. Have never tried it though. Also my personal loan went down about €10 a month because of it, but again, only because I asked.

You only get discounts on certain restaurants and hotels and they are not always easy to use.

One example-if you want to avail of a discount at a restaurant, you have to bok through U-First. Sounds sketchy. And it is. We turned up a restaurant with our confirmation and were left stading around for 20 minutes waiting for a table because the restuarant had never received details of any booking and couldn't figure out who/what U-First were. And they wouldn't give us the discount. We had to reclaim it from U-First. Too much hassle. If you want restaurant discounts, spend €25 on the EZ Living Voucher book-well worth it.

On the hotels front, these are generally more high end hotels-fine if you can afford them in the first place, but we have been abroad and on holiday in Ireland at least 10 times since we opened a U-First account (to get the tracker dicsount) and have never used their hotel discounts.

On personal loans, yes there is a discount for U-First account holders, but there is a good chnace (depending on your circumstances) that you could do better elsewhere, e.g. Tesco essentially resell UB/RBS loans at a lower rate.

Thanks for replies.

I have no loans and dont have my mortgage with UB so its basically a waste of money as I wont be availing of any of the restaurant offers.

Im going to try cancel it.

Back