What age to start Primary school?

Thanks folks, the overwhelming consensus seems to be 5 for the boys!
I started myself at 4 and a half but sure then again it was the 70's so it was wither school or sit and watch yer woman doing x's and o's on BBC2 all day..:(

I started at just over 4 and a half - I would have been sent the year before but I was still 3.

Lord ye were posh with bbc. We only had rte 1 and 2. I was 7ish before I knew what colour boscos hair was, it being when we got a colour tv and afraid of our lives we'd go blind from watching it.

Hi, my youngest son ( have 4 boys eldest 14) was 4 on the 30 august he actually started on the 27th august. He is flying realy loves it is well able and would be in the top range in his class (28 in class). I knew he was ready for school but i was still scared. He was in cresh from 3 months and then went on to playschool. He was getting very bored in playschool and would cry most mornings. I was dreading he would cry in school but not once. Also i have 2 others in same school one in senior infants ( his birthday in november so he was almost 5 starting) and one in 6th class so id say that helped. The youngest is coming on better than his brother did last year. so what im realy trying to say is trust your own instinct. If you think he is ready then send him if not leave him. It can be a very though choice so best of luck.

Back