What about Croatia ?

johnnycash

Hi,
Thinking of going to Croatia for this summers hols. Would anyone recommend it for a family holiday (2 adults + 13 yr old) ?? Where are the nicest places to go ? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.
JC..

I have been twice. Charytered a sail boat with 4 and 5 others and crusied the Adriatic. A more chilled out time I have never had.
If you o you have to get out and about to the islands via ferry or small boat day trips.

Was quite cheap when I was there ( 3yrs ).

I found locals to be very much 50:50 ignorant and pleasant. All of our group came to this conclusion on reflection when we arrived. Dont let this bother you if you experience it
Do enjoy the sea food and take advantage of as much water activities you can as the water is warm in the summer.

Split is smelly at night!! but a nice town very young population it felt like.
Dubrovnik was a bit of a pain. jammers with ferry tours folowing group leader holding flags to stop them getting lost , likw a school tour.
Very very picturesques city though.
Climate is great in Sept so Summer will be scorchio.

All in all I would recommend it. Location of some of my fondest holiday memories and I am mulling over the idea of sailing again this Aug but Im wary about how busy the harbours will be.

If you search for Croatia you will find previous discussions, including my own 2c on Cavtat/Dubrovnik

We went to Mljet with croatiaactive.com last year and I would definitely recommend it for a family holiday. We did the surf/sail/cycle package but you can do as much or as little activity as you like.

Hi there.

I was in Croatia last September and am heading back there again in May - that is how fantastic the place is.

I can only speak about the south of the country as that is where I visited. I spent three nights staying in the Old Town of Dubrovnik (a must see) and four nights in a town called Cavtat, about 20km south of Dubrovnik.

Accommodation is relatively cheap there if you book everything yourself online. I paid about €30 a night for a studio apartment (slept three!!) in the Old Town. Eating out is also very reasonable - not as cheap as you might expect for a Balkan country but nowhere near as expensive as Ireland.

For a child, however, there isn't too much to do there but there are plenty of excursions to the Islands. I went to Mljet - plenty of watersports there.

As I said, I'm heading back again in a few months as I was so taken with the place. This time I'm hiring a car and driving into Bosnia and Montenegro as well. The war may be very recent history but that part of the world is incredibly beautiful - and the people are fantastic.

In a nutshell - a meal for two with a bottle of wine in a good restaurant won't cost you any more than €40 (eating in some of the smaller, local restaurants is much cheaper). Beer is about €3 for a litre. Spirits (locally sourced ones) are only about €1 a shot. Cigarettes (oh, how politically incorrect of me!!) are about €3.50 for 20.

Accommodation will vary anywhere between €20 and €100 a night depending on your tastes. In the Old Town, most people stay in private houses (their version of B&Bs but without the breakfast!) as there are only two hotels there (very expensive!!).

If you decide to go, have a ball and enjoy yourself.

I really don't get why Croatia is so hyped as a great holiday destination, when Montenegro is just down the road. You could fly into Dubrovnik and spend a day or two there, then either rent a car or take the bus to Kotor/Budva for (in my opinion) a much cheaper and interesting holiday in a much more beautiful setting. It's one of the most visually stunning places in Europe and hasn't been inundated with tourists just yet.

I really don't get why Croatia is so hyped as a great holiday destination, when Montenegro is just down the road. You could fly into Dubrovnik and spend a day or two there, then either rent a car or take the bus to Kotor/Budva for (in my opinion) a much cheaper and interesting holiday in a much more beautiful setting. It's one of the most visually stunning places in Europe and hasn't been inundated with tourists just yet.

Presumably it's is not over run with tourists because as you say it's not hyped as a desintation like Croatia is. The Montengero tourist board probably don't do as much in martketing their country as Croatia does.

Buda and Trafford, the problem is not that Croatia is overhyped, it's just that it's not valued. For example, look at adverts on CNN, you only see the sea, which is okay for a day or two, Dubrovnik - 1 day and it's old news, but get up along the coast, Split, Sibenk, Krka, Plitvice, away from the rip off (really is, I live here, challenge me on details!) centres you not only get value for money, but see amazing sights, meet real and decent folks (though there are a lot of knuckledraggers everywhere). Fly into Split, hire a car and be free. Don't book a package, you'll lose time and money, wander along and enjoy yourself. Visit from Dubrovnik to Split to Zadar and all points between, and if you want to save money on accomodation and see some stunning sights head back from the Adriatic and if you venture the 45mins to Knin, ask where the Irish guy lives and I'll buy any AAM folk a coffee/beer!

Having visited a number of the Greek islands over the years Croatia has been on my radar for some time. This year i am finally getting to go there next Sept, and I agree with almo that there has to be more to see than Dubrovnik (beautiful and all as it looks). I looked at a package deal with Croatia Tours which was €870 for my g/f and myself for a week in Porec. Even the travel agent said the deal was as good as she's seen (well she would say that!!)
Anyway, with a little internet investigation work I managed to get the exact same flights and the exact same accomodation for just over €500 by booking with the flight carrier and apartment complex directly!!! The only difference being we have no transfer from Pula airport to the resort........so we have hired a car at a cost of about €200 for the week (we had intended to hire one for 3 days anyway) . Fully intend to explore as much of the surrounding area and beyond in the short time we have.

So my advice is definitely, seek out the less well known spots and explore.
And shop around!!

Back