Well pump running constantly

gramlab

Got a huge ESB bill recently. Turned everything off and figured out it was the pump. What would be the possible causes of this. Have a few ideas but I have a guy calling and would not mind knowing what he is on about/what to ask him?

If the pump is constantly running it's either faulty or the water is getting out somewhere. An underground leak, perhaps?

Or perhaps there's no pressure in your pressure vessel, if there's one installed - that would cause the pump to cycle constantly (and you would see your water pressure at the tap "pulsing" as the pump comes on and off).

But to be honest, even if your pump was running constantly, I can't see it causing a huge ESB bill as these pumps don't typically consume a lot of power.

most pumps are 0.5 KW or greater
Running 24/7 would use ( 0.5 KW X 24 Hrs X 30 Days ) = 360 K/H
360 K /H X €0.15 per KWH = €54.00 / Month.

It was the first meter read bill for a while so it wasn't spotted for the last 2. Bill was about 130 quid higher than normal. Have a problem with acidic water so that might be a possible cause (only treated after pump). Just thought I'd post to see if anyone had any opinions. Surprise, surprise the guy didn't turn up yesterday

Are you sure your current or last bill wasn't based on an estimated reading? Do you actually hear the pump constantly running?

Op is your pump a submersible pump , I recently had a relation who had the same problem ( excessive esb bills ) turned out the non return valve on the pump had went and the pump was as a result always on

Rang back the guy who was supposed to call monday(he left a message last night saying to call him). Said he had fixed the problem. I thought he confused me with another job. Turns out he called yesterday (had given him directions the previous day) and replaced a non-return valve and the pressure vessel (diaphragm gone??). I had left the shed open but I think its bloody cheeky to carry out work without any go ahead. I only called him to come out to look at the problem.

I was a bit stunned and didnt really say much except that I would have to have a think about the whole thing. How do I know if he did the work/if it was needed. Plus I am amazed that her managed to do anything as I had the power to the pump off from the house.

Angry/relieved/confused??

Back