We'll Never Learn to Act Decently on Our Roads

Leper

Ice on our roads for several days this week and every morning most people were driving carefully and with respect to other road users. Great! We can behave like people should behave on our roads.

But, the same drivers on their way home later after the ice abated go back to their godawful ways speeding through quiet housing estates trying to save just seconds. I saw one driver entering the forecourt of a pub and exiting the other side to gain perhaps two car spaces in the long queue of cars heading home. Our yellow boxes have become car parks preventing other drivers from going anywhere. Red lights mean increase speed and get yourself through no matter what the danger to others. Cyclists are there for the taking. Wrong lane driving is for your benefit only. Our unmarked roundabouts are now a lottery regarding safety.

Will we ever learn?

I saw one driver entering the forecourt of a pub and exiting the other side to gain perhaps two car spaces in the long queue of cars heading home.

I know, I know. Young people these days !

Leper, its Sunday morning, get the papers, read the good news bits, the uplifting bits, ignore the nonsense designed to get you agitated. Look forward to the medium steak and that glass of red tonight. Relax.

Then check the actual statistics for road safety in Ireland. You might surprise yourself.

The most ridiculous thing I see with ice is people using water to clear their windows... thereby creating black ice for themselves and everyone else in the estate that night unless weather during the day has been warm enough to clear it.

I never said it was the young drivers. It's many drivers on Irish roads male, female, young, not so young etc. Only an hour ago, I came across a twit driving at speed the wrong way in a one way system. If the nation's drivers cannot learn to be careful and mindful of other drivers, then God help us!

Back