Welfare and Tax fraud

How come you only consider reporting the business now while you husband had been employed for 18months? Could it be he was happy to turn a blind eye while he was employed?
As the restaurant manager, does your husband not have some reponsability in knowingly working with undeclared staff?
Food for thought.

Well actually my husband did inform the three employees that actually can string two word of english together that their P45s were still in the safe and most likely would stay there for ever. The remaining employees are family members of employer. I'm not sure that he would have risked losing his job crappy as it was(which are very hard to come by these days) in order to get other peoples tax affairs right.

Let's get things in perspective here.....

There are fundementally two issues: Your hubby's SW claim and his ex-employer's avoidence of tax/PRSI.

1. SW will register a claim for JB and then send an inspector out to the employer to investigate why employer did not pay PRSI. The investigation will be based on a written statement by your husband laying out details of his employement. Whether or not the employer eventually pays the alleged missing PRSI will be irrelevant as SW will award hubby "credited contributions" for the period he was working, which are treated the smae as paid contributions for SW purposes. (in toher words, hubby will not lose out on any entitlements due top employer's remiss).While awaiting result of investigation, SW will take a claim to JA from your husband. This involves a means test which can take a number of weeks/months depending on workloads (very busy at the moment in most offices due to huge increase in claims since Jan). The CWO (as another psoter mentioned) will pay a weekly payment in lieu pending the SW JA coming through. They will also deal with the Rent Supplement payment. It is imperative that your husband gets to the CWO ASAP in order to get this sorted.

That is the problem -PRSI was paid but only from the beginning of 2007 when in actual fact husband was working from Sep 2006, those 16 weeks that employer did not declare him as working apparently make the difference as to whether he will get benefit or allowance -allowance will take 3 months to process, that is what he was told. He cannot prove that to welfare people via 2006 P60 as he did not receive one.

Clubman -I have to say I don't appreciate your tone. Husband was threatened,the gardai have been informed and a report has been made. I'm not making this all up you know.

The relevance of my remark is in response to a query as to whether my husband is partly responsible for his situation by knowingly working with undeclared staff - only three employees(except himself) speak the tiniest amount of english, none of the others speak a word. The three that do can hardly compose a sentence
He tried to explain via one of their boyfriends who speaks a modicum of english that they most likely were not *on the books*
Duty done.

Many thanks to those of you who have been helpful -situation is not resolved but all advice greatly appreciated;)

The relevance of my remark is in response to a query as to whether my husband is partly responsible for his situation by knowingly working with undeclared staff - only three employees(except himself) speak the tiniest amount of english, none of the others speak a word. The three that do can hardly compose a sentence

That's fair enough. I think Clubman, and certainly other AAM readers incl myself, picked up on the way you wrote it which does not read well and may seem offensive towards non-irish native.

volda said:
the three employees that actually can string two word of english together

We now have to live in a world of political correctness.

That's fair enough. I think Clubman, and certainly other AAM readers incl myself, picked up on the way you wrote it which does not read well and may seem offensive towards non-irish native.

We now have to live in a world of political correctness.

Well in actual fact my husband is a *non-irish* person, he is Italian, I am not Irish -something I did not establish in my first post, as it is totally irrelevant.But I do think it is relevant to point out that hos co-workers do not speak english,certainly not enough to converse with anyone when any responsibility he may have had is called into question.

Volda I do not think your husband should collect the P60 on his own. If such threats you have said have been made I would call to the Gardai to tell them where I was going beforehand and forewarn the boss of this.

Actually the P60 is not forthcoming. Ex boss is doing utmost to make things difficult.
I am at a loss as to understand how an employer can suddenly*remember* that he had someone working for 3 or 4 months before they were officially declared as working -TWO years later. This is what would have to happen I suppose in order to supply this miising document.

Back