Weekend in Scotland

baldyman27

Since Munster lost on Saturday, we have decided we are still going to go to Edinburgh for the final but instead of just getting to the city and lodging into a pub straightaway, we want to see some of the countryside.

We are taking a car on the ferry from Larne, arriving in Troon early friday morning. We want to be in Edinburgh by mid-day on Saturday. Then, depending on the heads, leave Edinburgh at mid-day Sunday and travel for a bit before our ferry from Troon at 4 (I think) on Monday afternoon.

Anyone have any suggestions on how we could best make use of our time? Would love to see some of the Highlands if possible, cities don't really interest us, mountains/rivers/lakes type scenery would be preferred.

A few years back when heading over to Scotland v Ireland I flew into Glasgow, hired a car and drove up around Loch Lomond and Loch Tay, before staying in a castle for a night, then on to Stirling and then Edinburgh.

That was a nice trip with some stunning scenery.

Stirling is picturesque.

In the city, the castle is great fun. They also have a Dungeons attraction, quite a good laugh. They also do ghost tours including the underground tunnels!

The Camera Obscura and World of Illusions is beside the castle, also great fun.

Houses of Parliment and the Palace of Holyrood isn't far.

A must is the Zoo! Great craic altogether, for ALL ages. Its massive.

A must is the Zoo! Great craic altogether, for ALL ages. Its massive.

I agree, and it's free if you're a member of Dublin zoo. Make sure to buy some bird food as you go into the bird special exhibit, can't remember what it's called. It's a unique experience though :D

We did a weekend in Scotland last year. Stayed in Edinburgh and one night in Inverness. If you have any interest in whisky you can visit a multitude of distilleries in the east highlands and see beautiful scenery. Its about a 5-6 hour drive from Inverness back to Edinburgh through the highlands and into Perth. Its about three hours on the motorway but you see very little.

I agree, and it's free if you're a member of Dublin zoo. Make sure to buy some bird food as you go into the bird special exhibit, can't remember what it's called. It's a unique experience though :D

Make sure you get there for the Penguin march too!

the whole west coast of scotland is fantastic - can recommend fort William - lovely town, bnice people, nice restraunts, especially fish restraunts if you like.....

If you have time go to Oban and eat in the Seafood Temple. Not to be missed but must be booked. Open thursday to Sunday.Oban is about three hours drive from Glasgow .Lovely around Loch Lomand and Lough Awe.

As another poster said, go to Fortwilliam. Take your time going down via Glencoe, it's one of the most beautiful parts of Scotland.

If you haven't time to go hiking in it, there's a ski lift near the Rannock Moor end of Glencoe, can't remember which mountian its on, but you can use it to access the high mountains for a stroll around. Wear warm clothes!

As of last night, due to others pulling out, the trip is cancelled. Will visit at some stage though, thanks for the tips.

As of last night, due to others pulling out, the trip is cancelled. Will visit at some stage though, thanks for the tips.

Hi baldyman, sorry for your Munster troubles, but if you have a ferry trip booked, I know someone who would be very interested in going instead, assuming the ticket can be transferred to another car. PM me and I will pass on the details. Travel to and from Scotland for the match is getting tight!

Sorry baldyman, getting back to you straight away on the above message, I have checked and the other guys have booked flights and hired a car, so I'm sorry if I raised your hopes unnecessarily.

Oopsbuddy, you got my hopes up there alright!! No bother, though if anyone is looking for a ferry over, PM me.

Hi,

Scotland consists of three regions- Southern Uplands, Central Lowlands and Highlands. These regions adjoin different places and comprise of different landforms. he Highlands region of Scotland nestles some of the prominent golf courses in the world. Cycling and bike riding is another cherished pastime in Scotland. The enthusiasm for cycling is such that many tourists hire bikes to explore this divinely beautiful place. The Glencoe, Galloway region and the Isle of Skye are perfect spectacular riding places. Edinburgh is swarming with people every year for more than one reason. The foremost attractions are the museums of this place.

Back