Wedding Venue help!!!!!!!

M

msaileenc

My head is really really melted with venue searching now and I need some help :-(

We are looking to get married in a restaurant that will hold 80 people and is on the coast. We are going to rent a house for the week and some of our friends and all of our family are coming on holiday with us and the kids for that week.

We found a couple of places in Donegal : The Waters Edge but its not on the coast its on a lake and when we visited Rathmullan the village its in we thought it was a bit too quiet. Just a bit. We also found a place called Danny Minnies in Donegal but again its in Gweedore and its soooo quiet there and I just don't think theres enough choice for people for activities and I don't want our wedding to be an excuse for everyone to go to a pub and get drunk for the holiday.

We are looking for somewhere thats in a nice seaside village with activities on the beach for kids. Somewhere that had a bit of style whether that be modern or old Irish - Dannie Minnies would have been perfect if it was in somewhere like Dunfanaghy, bustling little village with a gorgeous beach.

There has to be somewhere but I just can't find it :-( Also it doesn't have to be in Donegal it can be anywhere up the coast.

Even if we found a small boutique kind of hotel that would do a small wedding that would be great. My boyfriend really doesn't want the square/rectangle hotel banquet room for our day and thats the only stipulation he's made. Something unusual. If I don't find something soon he said we'll have to book it in Dublin and I really REALLY want to get married on the West coast.

If you can help me with any suggestions that would be great.

Sorry for being so moaney.

Can I ask how much research the boyfriend is putting into this?
Also have you driven further down the coast to see if there is anything along it that you like?

The wedding websites are usually good for this kind of stuff, somebody else has usuall done it, weddingsonline.ie is one my friend used.
also remember that while you may like to get married on the west coast, ifyou are from Dublin, alot of your guests might thank you for making them drive 3-4 hrs & all the associated costs espiacally in the current climate.

Clifden in west Galway is a beautiful coastal town with some excellent restaurants. The station house hotel has lovely self catering apt's, handy for guests.

Bundoran in Donegal, went there on my hen as it was recommended to me, lovely little area, good night lift, fabulous beech (breathtaking), best in ireland I hear, famous for surfing, water park for kids and a fair ground, sight seeing train through town, golf course, lovely hotel out there on the golf course, always a buzz about the place.

Check out Castlemurray House Hotel in Dunkineely, near Killybegs. It's a lovely restaurant with rooms (as opposed to a hotel) with fantastic views of the ocean. It's quiet but its not too far from Donegal town if you wanted a bit of craic. The food is amazing (lots of fresh seafood) and the staff are so nice.

Back