Wedding Ring!

Thanks SNB, I just might have to do something like that. I have fallen in love with that ring

Just an update folks.
Went in bright and early last Saturday with the best friend.
Started in the Happy Ring House. Some nice rings but I have to say the level of service was terrible. The woman we spoke to seemed like she couldnt be bothered. Near the end of our conversation I brought up the subject of a discount and she looked at me like I had 2 heads!
We said we'd like to have a look around and that we'd call back later and we barely got a goodbye from her.

Anyway, from there onto Appleby's and I have to say the difference was amazing. They couldnt do enough for us and the lady we seen (Mary O'Meara) was fantastic. Really explained the ins and outs of it all and seemed genuinely interested in helping us choose the right ring from for my girlfriend (rather than the most expensive one!).
In the end we picked a fantastic brilliant cut platinum solataire, FVS1, .7 carat. Listed price was E5250 but she dropped the price to E4700 once I told her I worked for a bank and that my parents bought their ring there 30 odd years ago (not 100% on that one... I know it was some jewellers off Grafton St though!).

She also said that we could exchange the ring if by chance my girlfriend doesnt like it and even get a refund if she can't one she'd prefer there.

I have to say that I'm very happy with our choice though and I think it's perfect. Whether my gfriend thinks the same is another matter! :)

Thanks to everyone for their help and I would highly recommend Appleby's for anyone also on the look out!

Now all I have to do is plan how I'm going to pop the question!!

Dunner

Fingers crossed for you! Make sure you insure the ring before you travel and good luck keeping it secret ;)

They don't have prices on their website!:(
I know from the discussion on CNBC that they are much less than normal, only a fraction.
They list a number to call but it is a U.S. number. It seems as if they are a new company and I expect that they will set up a better sales network.
I hope that they bring about big changes to the market because it is currently controlled by one company who are artificially keeping the prices high and I like to see companies like that get their comeuppance.

Definitely separate policy, on your house insurance if you have some, otherwise phone around to arrange a policy. Get an insurance valuation from Applebys and fax that to the insurance company. Generally on travel insurance the max you can claim for a single item is €250!!

Thanks shesells... I've updated my house insurance to include the ring. Only cost an extra E19! That should ease the stress of losing it between Dublin and Thailand!

Well maybe I'm lucky but I picked the ring for my wife and she loved it and loved the fact that I got it myself so if you feel like this is what you want to do then go for it.

Fair play. It's meant to be a romantic time so I admire you for doing that. Sorry but all these ideas of buying cheap rings takes the romance out of it. You're only going to propose to her once so make it special. She'll love you even more for it. And if she doesn't, dump her and give the ring to her friend! :D

a final update for everyone who's helped me out.

we're back from Thailand a week now and it all went pefectly. I proposed on a beach in Koh Sumui after a lovely meal and (thankfully!) she said yes!
She loves the ring aswell and won't even consider looking around anywhere else for a different one. We've had it re-sized last week and it looks lovely.

So all in all it's been a resounding success and I am very glad I went ahead and bought the ring. It was great having the fall back of a refund which both the Happy Ring House and Appleby's offered me so I felt I had nothing to lose really.

Thanks to everyone for the advise and hope this thread can be useful to some other poor soul that may find themselves in my position! :)

Congrats. on your engagement and glad all went well for you both. Will you start a new thread now on the wedding planning or will you leave that to herself.

Back