Wedding Question (Gift for Bride)

TwoWheels

Hi all,
Has anybody heard of a tradition where the Groom should give the Bride a "Special Gift" ?

Something special (Jewelery Etc) as a gift from him to her, obviously in addition to the rings ... to be given before the "Big Day"

I have been told this by a few people, but am unsure if I am being wound up or this is indeed a tradition I should be careful not to miss out.

Thanks for any help.

TW.

I have heard of this tradition, also that the bride sends over a gift and a card to the groom on the morning of the wedding.

Maybe it's just a North American tradition but not a wind up as far as I know.

ad

It's a relatively new tradition inspired by those who, for reasons that may be forever a mystery, are looking for additional expense at a time they're most stretched.:confused:

A lot to be said, IMHO, for bogging off to Rome for the nuptials and sending home a postcard.

I've heard about this, and its neither new nor North American. Amongst my friends and relatives it's always been a gift for the groom to give the bride something...earrings etc.

I mentioned it to a male friend who was getting married recently on the day before the wedding, and spent the afternoon running round jewellery shops with him!

I received a gift from my husband on the morning of my wedding, most of my friends who got married recently also got gifts on the morning of their wedding I think it's becoming alot more common

Ah the Celtic Tiger Cubs with more money than sense!!! And yet another credit card bill to look forward to after the honeymoon

I don't know about more money than sense I was obviously delighted with my gift and I know my husband wouldn't have bought it if he didn't have the cash and it was going on the credit card. Obviously if you can't afford it, it shouldn't be bought

The tradition of the bride and groom exchanging gifts is traditional in most continental European countries, not just in the U.S.A.

Shaking , delighted you enjoyed your gift . However reading the forum and seeing the amount of money borrowed for weddings or hoped for from guests means that those of us including you, who buy what they can afford, seem at times to be in the minority. As regards it being a tradition, having been to at least thirty weddings, its a new Irish tradition for me. You learn something new every day.

I think the perfect gift for your bride on the morning of the wedding would be a set of nice saucepans... *hides!* :p:eek::D

The tradition of the bride and groom exchanging gifts is traditional in most continental European countries, not just in the U.S.A.

Ouch Geraldine, I said North America, that includes more than the USA :)

I think it's a nice idea for the b ride to give the groom something of a wedding gift to make the day, something special whether it be a set of cuff links or a watch, something they can wear on the day and have a memento of. Brides get the engagement ring and the wedding ring and the fancy dress, I think men deserve something too.

Maybe it's just a North American tradition but not a wind up as far as I know...
Yes its a long-established, well-honoured North American tradition; started in a place called Springfield or by a guy called Springer...

My husband gave me a present on our wedding day, it wasn't expensive but he put a lot of thought into it, I don't know whether it is a tradition or not but I would imagine it is quite common but also often a private exchange so the guests wouldn't necessarily know!

In my area the groom sends 12 white roses (or her favourite colour) to the bride on the morning of the wedding.

Hi there - I have heard of this tradition but think it's relatively new and we DEFINITELY didn't want to do it... Preparing for the wedding was bad enough without adding more shopping to the list! And this is the bride speaking!!!
I suppose the honeymoon is like a 'gift' to ourselves but TBH I had more on my mind than extra gifts...
Mind you I do know someone who exchanged gifts rather than coins during that part of the ceremony...

Back