Wayne Rooney

Liamos

Did anyone hear Paddy Crerand on Newstalk this morning with Ivan Yates. He was discussing the whole Wayne Rooney situation and got so fed up with Yate's line of questioning that he hung up! As Yates said United fans have no problem talking when they are winning, but they don't seem to take bad news like this very well.

I heard a bit of this and thought Crerand's reference to Rooney's sister in law was crass.

Did anyone hear Paddy Crerand on Newstalk this morning with Ivan Yates. He was discussing the whole Wayne Rooney situation and got so fed up with Yate's line of questioning that he hung up! As Yates said United fans have no problem talking when they are winning, but they don't seem to take bad news like this very well.

Paddy Crerand might have more of an emotional attachment than most to the club and could hardly be described as just a fan.

I'm a fan on the other hand and have always had Rooney as one of my favourite players of the last few years, but if he decides that he is the only show in town then good luck to him and i hope he leaves sooner rather than later. If he cops himself on then I want to keep him.

Did anyone hear Paddy Crerand on Newstalk this morning with Ivan Yates.

He must be doing the rounds. I heard him on the Pat Kenny show and he came across pathetic.
Man Utd had no problem taking him off Everton's hands after they had developed him through their youth system but are annoyed because , god forbid, he wants to leave Utd.
He will probably stay anyway after getting more money.

I'm a fan on the other hand and have always had Rooney as one of my favourite players of the last few years, but if he decides that he is the only show in town then good luck to him and i hope he leaves sooner rather than later. If he cops himself on then I want to keep him.

When did he say that - players leave clubs all the time, why is Rooney any different?

Yates loves stirring it up, Crerand is a windbag and Rooney will be washed up before he is 30.

he'll go to a big club and struggle and within 2 years, he'll be like little mickey owen, all washed up and stuck in newcastle believing himself to be bigger than that....eventually going back to a big club on a pay by play basis, doing sweet fa.
he's lost it

Crerand has never had any sense of perspective in relation to anything Man-u. It doesn't surprise me that he hung up if even mildly provoked.

Big name player wants to leave existing club for more money at another club. Happens all the time. The issue now is that Man-U are the losers in the love-triangle. Given the number of times they've been the agressor, it's hard to feel any sympathy. At least they know now how Everton felt.

If Rooney wants to go then he should be sold for the best price possible. No one is bigger than the club.
Thanks for the memories Wayne. Leave your jersey at the door.

When did he say that - players leave clubs all the time, why is Rooney any different?

Certain players are taken to the hearts of their fans. He was building himself towards being a possible legend with United, but if he decided that he wants to move because United aren't good enough for him then so be it and we move on without him. I would be much happier if he decided that leaving was a mistake and stayed.

he'll go to a big club and struggle and within 2 years, he'll be like little mickey owen, all washed up and stuck in newcastle believing himself to be bigger than that....eventually going back to a big club on a pay by play basis, doing sweet fa.
he's lost it

In fairness to Owen he has always been unlucky with injury and most would consider him a model pro since he entered the limelight for Liverpool and England.

In fairness to Owen ..

The parallels may be valid. Both emerged at a young age and excelled when their contemporaries were still in the reserves. Owen peaked as a player in his early 20s. Time will tell if this is true for Rooney too.

Maybe Rooney is positioning himself for a potential halving of his income, i.e. alimony ?

With all the money flying around at clubs, and the existence of the PFA, wouldnt you think there should be v good structures to keep players on the straight & narrow, educate them as to what it means to be a model pro, media training, money training, dangers of drink/gambling/"roasting" and the like/drugs/...eerrr... grannies in brothels, even set them up for a career post soccer.

Ok its mollycoddling them, but there must be countless stories of 16 year olds who never made and ended up broken at age 20. As regards Rooney et al, I know its hard to be heard by someone who earns as much in a week as a lot of us over few years, but I hope they are trying, it would save a lot of the hassle all round if it worked.

All these wild Christmas parties that get out of hand, its happened enough times for someone at the club to be assigned the role of "dont let em do anything stupid".

As a UTD fan, all I can say is good luck to Rooney. Utd would do the same with another clubs player and would also be quick to get rid of Rooney if it suited them. Having said that, the money now involved in football is disgusting. For a club to offer a player over a million a month is obscene. The game will be destroyed.

Check out Shreks Answering Machine on Gift Grub

[broken link removed]

He always scores against us but never forgive him for his blantent dive in the peno box a couple of years ago

Bet the "real" united fans are embarrassed about the death threats and balaclavas and banners outside his house now. Bloody embarrassment to the sport and to United.

Back