Wayleave Consideration.

eon117

I recently inherited a landlocked piece of agricultural land with an existing public water supply line. I have a right of way expressly provided for through a relatives land. However the water services pipe goes under this relatives land. This relatives land was also part of the testament in which I inherited my land. I queried a separate water connection and the solicitor mentioned wayleave. It is a small piece of land but vital to me and surely I don't require additional wayleaves or costs for a service that has been part of the land for decades and is already there as inherited. Problem is that the existing system is serving separate lands now. Need advice as I am using the supply for livestock. There probably is a safe and simple solution for this..

Last edited:
You may not need a way leave for your purposes.

However if you ever went to sell the
surely I don't require additional wayleaves or costs for a service that has been part of the land for decades and is already there as inherited
Approach might cause a problem

Very difficult to understand your post.

You have an existing ROW to land. You also have an existing water pipeline running through a relatives land serving this land, but I think this water wayleave is not a written wayleave?

So when you say you' queried a separate water connection', what does that mean?

The reason I queried a separate water connection was because the existing meter is now serving separate land plots rather than 1 single area of farmland as prior to the testament. In effect the supply is being used by at least 2 people. I don't want a new supply and would rather use existing as I won't have to lay a new line for a distance of 6 or 700 metres. Since the existing line is decades there and I inherited as such then wayleave might not be needed. But a new supply might need wayleave. I don't need the expense of a new line as I have many costs without it. But I need a safe longterm legally secure connection.. That's more or less it. I have no experience of wayleaves. Is it just registering a service line much the same as registering my right of way... Thanks for your interest in responding.

Is the meter in your name,In the past there used to be a saying if you let someone put a water pipe trough your land they would have a right of way over it not sure it would stand up .the legal people on here may be able to help,
I suspect if you paid towards splitting supply or a new supply as close to mains as possible for the other land owner may be a cheaper option if you are on good terms

Last edited by a moderator:
Back