Waterlogged lawn

LimerickMan

Hi all,
I moved in to a new house 6 months ago and part (50%) of the back lawn has been pretty much submerged since then. I tried "attacking" it with a fork in an attempt to drain off some of the excess water but found that I could only dig the fork in about 6 inches before I hit solid ground (building site rubble I presume). Not sure what needs to be done but if at all possible I'd like to do all of the work myself. I checked previous threads but could find nothing specifically matching my problem. Any advice?

A few options come to mind.
1/ Use that area for growing plants that like water at their feet, bog plants etc.

2/ Create a split level lawn, with the submerged area now risen above the water.
Be careful with this though, as it may cause flooding in the new lower level or within the surrounding sites.

3/ Consider land draining or french draining the poor lawn area.
Have a look at this post for more details..... [broken link removed]

Last edited:
dig out a good size hole for a soak away or dig a channel from your low point over to one of your house drains like I G says french drain
length of 100mm pipe spade saw and maybe something to cut into the concrete so you can tap into the house drain a bit of concrete mix to cover the bit cut out and a level. Its not rocket science but you can't run water uphill so make sure the finish point is lower than...

is it a new build or a SH house? Ive same problem with my back lawn but its because the previous owner had built an extension and for some reason used a layer of rubble to put the lawn down on, pick a small area and dig down as far as you can go to see if there is a hard layer that might be recreating the same effect.

Its so bad on my lawn that if it rains on a monday its still damp on the friday and thats even with it slanting away down to 30ft trees, so seriously thinking of digging up and relaying. If we all came round on a saturday Im sure we'd be finished in no time.....

is it a new build or a SH house? Ive same problem with my back lawn but its because the previous owner had built an extension and for some reason used a layer of rubble to put the lawn down on, pick a small area and dig down as far as you can go to see if there is a hard layer that might be recreating the same effect.

Its so bad on my lawn that if it rains on a monday its still damp on the friday and thats even with it slanting away down to 30ft trees, so seriously thinking of digging up and relaying. If we all came round on a saturday Im sure we'd be finished in no time.....

you put on the barbie and i'll give ya a hand!:D

Back