Waterford . . . Where to Buy

MikeM

Looking for some advice on where to buy in Waterford as I'm starting a new job in the city in Feb '09.

I have a romantic notion about living by the sea and for that reason I would like suggestions for areas around the coast that are within commuting distance to the city but are not too remote.

I would also be grateful if someone could tell me about the areas to avoid in terms of property.

I would also like to consider the possibility of renting a room to help pay the mortgage so this is also a factor in my choice of location.

Thanks in advance,
MikeM.

Do you want to live in a village or would you like something with (at least!) basic facilities within walking distance? eg, shop/pub ;)

Or would you prefer to be surrounded with open fields?

If you want to rent a room you really would need to be in a more built up location. I don't know of anyone who rents a room out in the countryside...

but you might find that if the price is right you don't need to rent a room.

Also, are you looking for a newish build or would you be happy with older housing stock that you could work on yourself?

bear in mind that houses with a sea view or within walking distance are usually priced because of that selling point.

Tramore is a nice spot by the sea, and only 7 miles from Waterford. If you fancy something more rural, Stradbally is quite picturesque (but a good half hour from Waterford, more at peak times.

There's a good rental market in Tramore as it's a seaside town, but you would be most likely to get a sharer in the city.

Hi MikeM, Dunmore East, Stradbally, Woodstown and Tramore are all within a short commute (by Dublin standards) from Waterford City. As a regular visitor to the area and a past resident I would recommend the first three simply because Tramore can become quite packed in the Summer. Locals are not too impressed by a lot of the visitors they get and feel that the place is quite rough in high season.

Daft have a large range of properties in all of these areas, with area maps etc. Myhome has a certain amount and you can also google local Estate agents.

If you would like some more information regarding local schools, nightlife etc, just let me know and I will try to fill you in. LS.

Dunmore and Woodstown are great ... bear in mind that you have to travel in the Dunmore Rd to get into town ... it can be choc-a-bloc at peak times. Worth thinking about from a commuting standpoint.

Similarly, you have to cross the bridge to get into town from Ferrybank ... the bridge has its moments as well in terms of congestion.

Thanks for the input . . . . . Lots to investigate further.

Kind Regards,
MikeM.

...Tramore can become quite packed in the Summer. Locals are not too impressed by a lot of the visitors they get and feel that the place is quite rough in high season.
Tramore is effectively two towns - one where the locals are and the touristy area - they don't mix that much.

Stradbally, Bonmahon, Dungarvan, Kill, Ardmore would be nice country areas close to the sea. Dungarvan would have the best opportunity for resnting a room as its close proximity to Waterford City and also that there is a reasonable amount of industry there also.

Depends on where your job is really. Until the new orbital is finished in 2010 you will face delays of up to 90 minutes (worst case) should you locate north of the River in Ferrybank. If you live in the City you're only a ten-minute drive from Tramore and 15 to 20 minutes to Dunmore. PM me if you want to discuss it further.

Ardmore is a lovely spot, but has gotten quite pricey over the last number of years.

Hi Mike,
I grew up in Waterford City, left when I went to Uni and returned a year ago, having sold elsewhere and am renting since (also in the market to buy).
Anywhere in Waterford City is within 20 mins of great beaches in Dunmore, Woodstown or Tramore.The prime location in Waterford is on the Dunmore Road, the closer to town the better re renting. Look esp. for places close to Ardkeen Hospital and the Ardkeen shopping centre. You should get a 3-bed semi for under 300k and falling. The traffic is a problem at peak time - allow 40min-1hr to get to centre. You are max 20 min to beach though - opposite direction.
If you want to be on the beach - look at everything from Passage East, through Cheekpoint, to Dunmore east and on the coast to Tramore.

Go and take a drive along this route and see if you like it.

For my personal opinion, I'd avoid Tramore (think an impoverished Blackpool), although further on towards Dunhill and Annestown is fabulous but too far. Stradbally is gorgeous but where people go on holidays to - too far away from anything, overpriced and the beach is overrated.

As for Ferrybank, words fail me. Think abatoirs, ghost estates and being at a stanndstill in traffic while there is a bridge lift (frequent). My advice: ASK A SELLER TO PAY YOU TO LIVE IN FERRYBANK.

Best wishes!

Stradbally, Bonmahon, Dungarvan, Kill, Ardmore would be nice country areas close to the sea. Dungarvan would have the best opportunity for resnting a room as its close proximity to Waterford City and also that there is a reasonable amount of industry there also.

Dungarvan is at least an hours drive from Waterford City..... as for the comments on Ferrybank I live there and have never ever had to sit 90 mins in traffic, 15 mins would be the norm at rush hour. There is one abatoir which is well hidden up a side road off a side road. There is one estate that isn't full and even that is off the main road so wherever you got your ideas Imipwis they are completely wrong. Bridge lifts are generally once a month and there is lots of notice given. Are you selling a house on the Dunmore Road - if an ejit pays 300K for a 3 bed semi they are more than welcome too it, and the delays on that road can be double the Ferrybank one due to there being 4 schools in that area. OP I'd take this fools comments with a pinch of salt.

For seaside locations, Dunmore East and Woodstown are best by far. Houses in Woodstown are a lot scarcer than Dunmore which has become overrun in recent years by new developments. Prices, however, are top dollar in both areas and are not half as convenient as areas such as the Dunmore Road. Ferrybank very much a newly developed area and is fine apart from the crazy traffic to cross the bridge.

As for Ferrybank, words fail me. Think abatoirs, ghost estates and being at a stanndstill in traffic while there is a bridge lift (frequent). My advice: ASK A SELLER TO PAY YOU TO LIVE IN FERRYBANK.

Best wishes!

Agree with most of your advice, but that's a bit harsh!

You could settle in Co Wexford near Arthurstown /Duncannon and commute to work by Car Ferry ( only 15mins to Waterford )

Duncannon is a lovely seaside town .

I'm a fan of Duncannon, but it's no 'town'. Not even a big village and much the better for it.

Also unlikely you'd get from there to Waterford city in 15 mins, even with the ferry arriving perfectly on time and there being no traffic on Dunmore road.

And living in Arthurstown or Ballyhack just to be close to ferry? I'd definitely stick with options in Waterford, those villages are all grand, but really not suitable to be moving to them for access to Waterford.

Hi MikeM,
Totally agree with J26 re Tramore being like 2 towns. I lived in Tramore for a number of years and we would have never really gone near the 'tourist area' during the season. From September to May the beach area is fantastic and a great recreation facility for all the locals.

Tramore is a great town with everything you need while also been only a short commute to Waterford ( the traffic is generally not too heavy either)
I would recommend either houses along the 'new' ring road in Tramore (where if you are lucky you will have countryside views) or along Cliff Road (where you could have wonderful sea views of the bay of Tramore.
I would perhaps avoid the 'lower' town area as this will be mostly rented by tourists during the season.
If you want something a little more rural I would recommend anywhere along the coast from Woodstown to Bonmahon!
Happy house hunting!

Dungarvan is at least an hours drive from Waterford City..... as for the comments on Ferrybank I live there and have never ever had to sit 90 mins in traffic, 15 mins would be the norm at rush hour. There is one abatoir which is well hidden up a side road off a side road. There is one estate that isn't full and even that is off the main road so wherever you got your ideas Imipwis they are completely wrong. Bridge lifts are generally once a month and there is lots of notice given. Are you selling a house on the Dunmore Road - if an ejit pays 300K for a 3 bed semi they are more than welcome too it, and the delays on that road can be double the Ferrybank one due to there being 4 schools in that area. OP I'd take this fools comments with a pinch of salt.

Not necessarily. I have lived in Ferrybank (5 and a half years in the 80s); Hillview (22 years); and now Dunmore Road (renting for a few months).

The comments regarding Ferrybank are true. A work colleague of mine who lives by the Rhu Glen has spent, on occasion, between 90 and 120 minutes travelling to work on the Industrial Estate.

Granted, if you live somewhere like Rockenham or lower Rockshire Road you MAY get in in 15 minutes (on a very GOOD day).

Back