Waterford Co Council(?) wants to inspect the flat I am renting

lucashood1977

My landlord contacted me this evening telling me he received an email from a company called davis group on behalf of waterford CC for an inspection of the apartment im renting from him. He asked me if I made a complaint to them which i havent. I asked him to send on the email to me and the whole thing seems very fishy. The email was sent to him about the proposed inspection at 05:39 on a friday morning. Also arent these correspondenses usually done by post? Further more i have received no correspondence of any kind.from anyone and im the one living in the apartment. I tried looking on this davis group website and they dont have a contact.phone.number. I find the situation very strange. Would appreciate advice

I think that the Local Authorities are inspecting all rented premises anyway, whether or not a complaint is made.

It's a bit odd that Waterford CC did not notify you that you would be contacted.

You should contact Waterford CC to ask if it's genuine and you can notify them that it's not necessary.

Brendan

Of course, it's possible that the Davis Group is a scam and you should notify Waterford CC and the Gardai accordingly.

But if they had the landlord's details and the apartment's details correct via the RTB or via HAP, then it's probably genuine.

Brendan

Our Housing Inspections Team can be contacted directly at: [email protected]
Note that it also says:
Enforcement of the Regulations
An inspection is carried out on a property by either
  • A Waterford City and County Council Housing Inspector or
  • A Private Contractor on behalf of Waterford City and County Council

What a weirdly specific and totally inappropriate time of the day!
I read that as the email having been sent at that time.
Not that the inspection was scheduled for that time.
Some people start work early.
And it could have been some automated/scheduled mail shot.
I wouldn't read much into that alone to be honest.

I read that as the email having been sent at that time.
Not that the inspection was scheduled for that time.
Some people start work early.
And it could have been some automated/scheduled mail shot.
I wouldn't read much into that alone to be honest.
That makes more sense. An inspection before cock-crow would be cruelty.

All councils are inspecting their rental housing. They are outsourcing the work and they are inspection to a standard to ensure the landlord has the premises up to specification. See article on Cork here.

It could be read either way.

But those Council officials are very hard working so they might be planning a pre-dawn raid.

Brendan
And getting someone else from the private sector to carry out such a raid at an ungodly hour - good thinking .

Last edited:
Back