Water seaeing through stone work!

Chris2006

Hi I was wondering if anyone was able to help me. We have finally finished our new build (direct labour) and were enjoying settling into our new home. However with the bad weather over the weekend we have discovered a leak on the roof of our bay window and found the side walls of the bay to be damp also. We have stone to the front of the house around the bay window and believe that the water is getting in through the stone work. Whom should I be asking to rectify this problem the people who supplied and did the labour on the stone or our Engineer? The stone people are saying that the stone should have been sealed after the stone was put up and that this was our responsibility however we were never told by them that such actions should be carried out by either the stone people or our engineer who signed off on the house.
Your help is very much appreciated

The stone people. But you can probably claim for this on your house insurance which is less hassle.

tell them your gonna take it to the small claims court ,they might just fix it .you should win in the court .

I wouldnt be that sure the water is getting in through the stone. And even if it is it might not necessarly be the stone guys fault. It would depend on the detail that the engineers specced, if the stone lads done it to spec then they would be in the clear. You say the roof is wet and the walls, it sound like the water is getting in at roof level and seeping down? What is ove the bay window? There should be a flashing detail allaround the window which should keep the water out. Sealing the stone itself would not be best way to keep water out, it would be a simple action but not effective in driving and consistent rain.
Dont mention the small claims they will prob laugh at you. Get your engineer to have a better look at it or get him to get someone who knows. He did sign off on the work

I agree - the leak is probaly coming from a leak in the facia
I spend 6 months last year getting the builder to fix it

After heavy rain - the gabke would have leaks, it was plaster and un painted, so was easy to spot

The stone work probaly hides the true source

Back