water leaking in fridge

elizabeth

I have 2 fridges and both of them are collecting water under the fruit/veg baskets at the bottom of the unit. I have tried various methods of trying to unblock the drain holes, but to no avail. Am afraid to go at them too vigorously.

Get a Smokers Tobacco Pipe Cleaner, It is a flexible piece of wire covered with a fabric. Possibly tie two or three together to give you the length required. Stick it down the drain hole at back of fridge to clear the blockage. I think the pipe is just an overflow that goes nowhere and should be safe enogh . If in doubt turn off the elec power before pushing the wire down the hole. These are also useful for clearing the drain holes at bottom of aluminium windows.

Yes and pour a small amount of boiling water down the little drainage hole to clean it out.
Also clean the small 'drains' that lead to the drainage hole.

Get a Smokers Tobacco Pipe Cleaner, It is a flexible piece of wire covered with a fabric. Possibly tie two or three together to give you the length required. Stick it down the drain hole at back of fridge to clear the blockage. I think the pipe is just an overflow that goes nowhere and should be safe enogh . If in doubt turn off the elec power before pushing the wire down the hole. These are also useful for clearing the drain holes at bottom of aluminium windows.

I currently have this problem. Thought I'd solved it by pushing a chopstick down the drain, but don't think it was long enough.Where would I get a 'Smokers Tobacco Pipe Cleaner'???

I use cotton buds to clear out the drain hole regularly. If you unblock the hole and the water continues to build, check that the temperature is right in your fridge as if its not cold enough it will create excess water.

I use cotton buds to clear out the drain hole regularly. If you unblock the hole and the water continues to build, check that the temperature is right in your fridge as if its not cold enough it will create excess water.

The chopstick didn't work, so I don't think cotton buds would work. Maybe if I had have done that regularly like you say, it would not have blocked.

Fridge temp is definitely not too warm

it may be a blockage in the outlet pipe, this usually has a 90 degree curve in it, so you need a flexible thing to clean it out. This pipe is used to carry out the water from the evaporator(cold plate)

What I have found useful to clear the blockage is a small amount of the flexible strip used with a garden strimmer. It is strong and flexible. Then you could pour a small amount of milton diluted solution through the outlet to kill any germs.

Now if you get the blockage sorted out, you need to see if you can avoid it happening again. Some recommend keeping the foods in the fridge covered.

Thanks, you guys are totally brilliant! Same thing has been driving me mad and I just thought our fridge was bust.

Ok, so I tried the pipe cleaner approach. It took 4 pipe cleaners to reach all the way down and it still seems to be blocked!!

What is my next option, ring the repairman?

Back