Water leak from balcony door

Ms X

Hi

We moved into a newly build duplex 3.5 yrs ago. However we now have a problem with a leak at our balcony door (through the wall when the wall meets the balcony door frame). This maybe has been there since we moved in but with the heavy rain this winter we began to see puddles of water forming inside the door.

Are the builders / Homebond responsible for this type of issue as this stage?

Also any ideas of what the problem could be and the cost to fix?

Thanks

Normally the builders standard warranty is 6 months for minor defects & 18 months for major defects, so legally their warranty has expired. I would however, write to the builder & ask them to inspect the problem. Normally window manufacturers give a 10 year warranty on their products, so the builder would give them a call & ask them to attend to the problem. If it's not a structual issue (windows generally don't count), then Homebond is of no use to you my dear.

Hi

We moved into a newly build duplex 3.5 yrs ago. However we now have a problem with a leak at our balcony door (through the wall when the wall meets the balcony door frame). This maybe has been there since we moved in but with the heavy rain this winter we began to see puddles of water forming inside the door.

Are the builders / Homebond responsible for this type of issue as this stage?

Also any ideas of what the problem could be and the cost to fix?

Thanks

I was told by them that Homebond cover doesn't cover matters which are insurable, like internal leaks.

Water ingress apparently is covered by them, but you'd want to make sure thsi isn't condensation from within - they don't cover that AFAIK.

Best bet is to contact them and see is the scheme covered and to what degree - there may be particular exclusions for that scheme.

The statute of limitations runs to six years from completion.

ONQ.

Back