Water escape- getting rid of residual smell

Brenno123

Dear all

I have been unfortunate to have had water leak problems in a small downstairs loo in the past couple of years. The problem was coming from the sewer\waste pipe overhead. There was some shoddy workmanship which led to a few leaks over time.

Water has covered the plasterboard, the cement wall and lots and seeped onto porous stone tiles over this period while I had the leaks.

The leaks are fixed now thank god but I have lingering musty\damp smell for months now that I can't get rid of. It doesn't help that the toilet is located in the center of the house with no ventilation to the outside. Should I do all or some of the below to rid of the damp smell or any advice would greatly help me:

1. Remove all plaster boards and wood used to box in the sewer pipe and replace them all (as these have plently of black mold blotches on it from the old leaks ).
2. Remove\replace the porous tiles
3. Bleach entire area.
4. I can install a vent fan to outside world via another room (would this help?)
5. use a dehumidifier in the room

Probably will be a costly operation but the damp wet smell is driving me mad!
Any advice great appreciated. thanks

It's also a medical hazard to have black mould growing in your home!! You need a decent plumber/builder to re-design and re-build the room properly.

Back