Wasps in Garden

trojan

There is an old tree trunk at bottom of garden and what looks like wasps have a nest there. Up to recently when near the area the wasps never came near me but recently seem more aggressive and yeserday i got two stings on my arms. Should i just avoid the area until the frost arrives which hopefully will kill them off or have posters any other suggestions. Frankly i would prefer not to have them in case a visiting child might get stung.

I had the same problem last week and used Wasp Killer powder by rentokil and they are all gone.You can get this product in any good hardware store.

There is an old tree trunk at bottom of garden and what looks like wasps have a nest there. Up to recently when near the area the wasps never came near me but recently seem more aggressive and yeserday i got two stings on my arms. Should i just avoid the area until the frost arrives which hopefully will kill them off or have posters any other suggestions. Frankly i would prefer not to have them in case a visiting child might get stung.

Trojan,
Cant remember but couple of years back bought aerosol spray in local hardware. Cant recall name of product. Waited until evening until all the little guys were ready for bed. Emptied can into the nest. No more wasps.

The wasps will die off naturally soon and, as far as I know, the nest will not be reused.

They are fascinating to watch, and if you have kids, sit them down a fair distance away and enjoy the spectacle.

After they die off, the nest itself is a wonderful work of art. You should be able to cut it out of the tree and admire it.

Brendan

The wasps will die off naturally soon and, as far as I know, the nest will not be reused.

They are fascinating to watch, and if you have kids, sit them down a fair distance away and enjoy the spectacle.

After they die off, the nest itself is a wonderful work of art. You should be able to cut it out of the tree and admire it.

Brendan
100% correct

Be very careful if you're going to tackle a watch nest, it's potentially very dangerous.

Be very careful if you're going to tackle a watch nest, it's potentially very dangerous.

Why I got rid of wasps nest as soon as I could was because of my dogs.
About four years ago bees formed a hive on a tree in the back garden. The hive seemed to get very busy over a few short days. Again I started to worry about my nosey dogs. My wife mentioned the hive to colleagues in work. I live in the Wexford area. Within an hour I got two calls in relation to the beehive offering to buy the hive. A chap from Enniscorthy arrived at my house within an hour. It was amazing to watch. He put on his gear and simply lifted the hive in full into a box. He offered to buy the hive I was just glad to get rid.
So if anybody comes across a bee hive dont destroy they seem to be in demand.

DCD there's a great movie about the difference of wasps and bees, recent, the name, Ian McKellan was in it

Last edited:
DCD there's a great movie about the difference of wasps and bees, recent, forget the name, Ian McKellan was in it

Bronte.
Do you think i might get a buzz from it?:) Having a few glasses of wine tonight and getting a little buzz without the bees.

DCD there's a great movie about the difference of wasps and bees, recent, forget the name, Ian McKellan was in it
Hi Brendan..I cannot share your affection for these creatures. I am still feeling the effects of the stings and will not go next or near them. In fact the sight of any tiny flying creatures scares me. My grandchildren are calling today and the back garden is a no go area. You will feel i am overreacting a bit but if you have endured some stings you may have a slightly different viewpoint.

Bronte.
Do you think i might get a buzz from it?:) Having a few glasses of wine tonight and getting a little buzz without the bees.

Movie was Mr. Holmes.

Trojan I try not to react with insects so that the kids won't go biserk, very difficult for my second child who will not forget getting stung by a wasp on the lip while eating a sandwich. But my OH is the worst, and they seem to love him

It's almost impossible to have a drink in the garden without attracting wasps for the past couple of weeks. And as for spider webs they are everywhere. You have to be careful picking fruit as well. They will die off soon and we should be back to normal. This year I have noticed many tiny frogs in September in our flower beds. We normally see these in the spring.

Hi Brendan..I cannot share your affection for these creatures. I am still feeling the effects of the stings and will not go next or near them.

Can you not get the, anti-histamine I think, from the chemist and keep it available in case of stings.

I have often been stung, but not for some years. I had them in a shed in my very small back yard and was careful. I had the empty nest for years after.

Brendan

Back