Wasp nest located in an external pipe

lou2

Wondering if anyone might be able to help. I have what must be a wasp nest located in a pipe which is coming out of the external wall of my house, just a couple of feet from my back door. I can't actually see the next because I cant get near enough to the pipe to have a good look but there is huge wasp activity going in and out of the pipe. I can't go out to the back garden to hang out washing, go to the bins etc because they swarm around me (I can only access bins at night!). I have a baby in the house so need to be extra careful. Can anyone recommend what to do about this? I haven't a clue where this pipe leads to (if anywhere). It just juts out of the back wall halfway up. I'm afraid of simply closing up the hole outside in case I drive them inside somehow. If exterminators are required can anyone recommend someone reasonable. Can't afford the 180 plus vat I saw mentioned on another post here. Thanks.

I paid €50 to have a wasps' nest removed last summer. Have you tried calling pest control companies to get a quote?

Had some insulation work done earlier this year and they found a dis-used nest.My first reaction was it was an amazing piece of work.I was told they find them often.They are only used once and they dont return.They abandon it in late summer-Google it- we are nearly there now-so if its older then 1 year there may be no wasps there and u can remove safely.

You could try a commercial product to destroy the nest - something like the Nippon Wasp Nest Destroyer €7.79 from Woodies - [broken link removed]
I'd advise reading a couple of online articles on technique.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5560541_rid-wasp-nest.html

Treat it at nighttime when they are all inside - but there may be a couple of sentry wasps which you should kill with a spray before attacking the next itself, it's also a good idea to fully cover up as the sentries will try to sting any exposed skin if you don't get them in time.

There seems to one in our outside boiler, between the layers of the flat roof. Theres a tiny 1 cm (maybe less) gap they are using to get in and out. I was thinking of just sealing it with silicon. That worked in another house with a wasp nest in the wall.

Just an update...the wasps now seem to be getting in to the kitchen. Not in huge numbers but at a steady stream. They seem very sluggish. I'm purposefully not leaving windows/doors open at the moment so are there other ways that they are getting in? They are in the part of the kitchen where the pipe is on the external wall. Anyone have any idea what kind of pipe that might be? Afraid to seal it if it drives them all into the kitchen. Thanks.

I think you (and your baby if you get badly stung) are at some risk now. Call around local pest companies and tell them your story. We paid €75 to have two wasps nests removed a while back. Great to be able to stand (well) back and let someone else take the strain...

Back