Washington DC on Thanksgiving Day

hansov

Got a couple of cheap flights with Aer Lingus and will be spending Thanksgiving Day in DC. Given its Thanksgiving Day I presume that shops etc will be closed. Anybody know if there will be anything open like Museums or will it be a day for walking around, savouring the athmosphere, vsisting Arlington Cemetery and visiting outdoor stuff only.

Take a look at the Tripadvisor Washington DC forum.
All the information you need should be on the posts!

Thanks for that. Didn't know such a forum existed. While the questions so far posed don't answer my specific query, I have just signed up and asked the specific question. Ah well - any forum!

Got a couple of cheap flights with Aer Lingus and will be spending Thanksgiving Day in DC. Given its Thanksgiving Day I presume that shops etc will be closed. Anybody know if there will be anything open like Museums or will it be a day for walking around, savouring the athmosphere, vsisting Arlington Cemetery and visiting outdoor stuff only.
I was in Chicago before for Thanksgiving, and while there was a parade on early, there was nothing to do once that finished. We could only find one restaurant/pub open and that was after a couple of hours of wandering around the streets. All shops were closed aswell.

As far as I know most if not all the museums/galleries are open on Thanksgiving Day. I know for deffo all the Smithsonian ones are anyway. Just browse on the web to where you wanna go and they'll tell you what days of the year they are closed on, usually it is only Christmas Day and New Years Day.

Back