washer dryer recommendations

hfp

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good value washer dryer? I don't have the space for seperates, and can't live without a dryer!! I have one at the minute, but think its probably on its way out due to the amount of rattling coming from it. Its already needed 2 repairs in the last year, so I'm thinking I might just splash out and get a new one.

Main criteria would be reliable, approx 6 kilo load size (any more would be a waste of water for the amount of laundry I wash), a handwash cycle (i'm too lazy to do it in the sink!!) condensing, so that its drains through the water pipes instead of a hose and quiet, as my current machine sound like a rocket ship about to launch when its on a spin cycle!! approx budget would be around £450-£500 max (or euro equivalent obviously).

I know reliable is a tall order for a washer dryer, as they're notoriously prone to breakage, but long as spare parts are readily available I have a decent repair man to hand!!

Can you stack washers and driers?
If so you could have seperates, which would give you far better quality on each (Mrs K tells me) and have the flexibility to havea second wash on while the drier is is drying the first one.

It is possible to, but not in my kitchen sadly. I have a kitchen cabinet above where i'm plumbed for the washing machine. it would also block the window that my cat uses as a cat flap!!! without getting a brand new kitchen there's absolutely no chance of fitting separates, and to be honest even if I could make the room a dishwasher would take priority over a dryer!!

I bought this type recently - very happy with it, even does a 15min wash......

Hey ODT, your washer & dryer looks nice. Do post your comment after you use it.

think i jinxed myself posting on here before the machine had actually broken down, walked into the kitchen and there was smoke coming out of the machine!! any more suggestions gratefully received!!

Miele have a great reputation, but are pricey. The WasherHelp article linked above includes links to other reviews/guides.

quite happy with my mid range hotpoint. never been a lover of extended warranties but it worked out cheaper to take this out on its one service call (bra wire in filter...!) than one call out and is now going strong for eight years

Hey ODT, your washer & dryer looks nice. Do post your comment after you use it.

Hi Elizabetheve,

As I said, I can't falter this machine - have it 6 months now and very happy with the washing performance (I rarely use the dryer but has worked fine too). The washer has one particular setting that allows selection of 15mins, 30mins or 44mins wash with a temperature selection of either 30 or 40 degrees - I would say 95% of my washes are based on these selections.

For example:
15min wash at 30 degrees = quick wash (not too heavy staining on clothes)
44min wash at 40 degrees = longer wash to combat stains

Hope this helps

Back