Warranty cover

JMR

The situation I am in at the moment is as follows....

Recently bought a '03 car from dealership not local to myself.
Car came with 6 month warranty.
A small problem occurred within one week of my getting the car and between myself and the dealer we agreed that I would take the car to my local mechanic to look at what it would take to fix the car.
My local mechanic diagnosed the problem and provided a written estimate which I faxed to dealer.
Dealer sent cheque to mechanic but when mechanic actually went to do the job he discovered it was a bigger job than he at first thought.

Question is am I within my rights to go back to dealer and explain the situation and get him to cough up the extra it will take to sot the problem.

Couple of points on this also
1. The cheque I mentioned above has not actually arrived yet. The dealer insists he has sent it but maybe to the wrong address and is currently resending a cheque (I hope). There were a few choice words exchanged between myself and the dealer over the course of the 3 or 4 weeks that I was waiting for the cheque

2. The mechanic has not actually discovered what the problem is yet and so cannot say yet how much the job will cost in the end.

........ any opinions on the best way forward?

Is your local mechanic giving a VAT receipt? or just Fred in the shed?

Is your local mechanic giving a VAT receipt? or just Fred in the shed?

No idea what "Fred in the shed" is but he will be providing a VAT invoice. He is a proper business, not just a bloke who knows cars...

We'll if he's a proper business I'd be holding him responsible. If you came to our garage looking for a problem to be fixed else where and we agreed a figure, that would be all we would give.

And he still doesn't know what the prob is, are you sure you trust your man knows what he's doing. The place you bought the car isn't going around with an open cheque book.

Back