warned off pursuing a case

Let's be realistic here, the OP is unlikely to get a job with a law firm in the current climate regardless of what her employers do or do not say about her and that situation is likely to persist for a number of years. There simply are few legal jobs out there. Therefore that threat is meaningless.

The fact that they have made the threat means they are running scared and they probably accept they are going to lose.

I echo this comment, the general lack of law firm jobs makes this threat pretty weak.

Hi

thank you all so much for your comments.

With regard to details of family members these were indeed changed and the name im using is not my own, but thanks for the concern. A friend who has used AAM before mentioned to me that I should and I took that advice.

to visit the question of my barrister/solicitor. I have to say that I am glad that they told me what was inferred as I wanted them to be completely honest about what they were hearing/talking about with the other side and they have done that, im happy to date with the work they have done and truly believe they are on my side and committed to my case.

Im going to sign off now, thanks for all the comments/help offered in this forum and best to luck to all.

Aine2007

I would have thought that an Employment Tribunal is the appropriate place for the case. Since the ET system exists, if you go straight to court, you may be in danger of losing the case on the basis of not following due process and taking it to the ET first.

A barrister is not necessary for an ET case - a solicitor or anyone competent in employment law should suffice - and they are not presided over by Judges.

I think that the threats are all bluster - just trying to scare you. But if you are worried about fighting the case on a law firms "home ground", then take the game to a neutral more employee friendly venue i.e. the ET.

Open Court may not be the best avenue. Employment Appeal Tribunal is an independent body bound to act judicially and was set up to provide a speedy, fair, inexpensive and informal means for individuals to seek remedies for alleged infringements of their statutory rights. It is made up of Employee and Employer representatives and a legally qualified Chairman. You can even represent yourself if you chose to do so. You will get the same sort of redress as you would in court, but at a fraction of the cost

It's all done in a "between you and me..." or "off the record they might say..." way ... happens all the time.
I don't disagree with you, but that doesn't make it right. The fact remains that allowing a 'off the record' conversation was not in the interests of the OP. OP's barrister should either be prepared to go on record, or should not allow the conversation to happen.

to visit the question of my barrister/solicitor. I have to say that I am glad that they told me what was inferred as I wanted them to be completely honest about what they were hearing/talking about with the other side and they have done that, im happy to date with the work they have done and truly believe they are on my side and committed to my case.
Have you asked your barrister to go on record about the inferred threats?
Open Court may not be the best avenue. Employment Appeal Tribunal is an independent body bound to act judicially and was set up to provide a speedy, fair, inexpensive and informal means for individuals to seek remedies for alleged infringements of their statutory rights. It is made up of Employee and Employer representatives and a legally qualified Chairman. You can even represent yourself if you chose to do so. You will get the same sort of redress as you would in court, but at a fraction of the cost
Sounds like great advice to me.

Back