Ward of Court - died intestate - Personal application for Probate

Evarwyn

Hi Folks,
Here's the background.Sorry for the long post - I just want to give a full background!

My uncle passed away recently. He died intestate.He has been a ward of court for the last nine years. He was made a ward due to severe dementia. His wife passed away and there were no children.I was fully involved in the process from the initial contact with my solicitor, dealing the Ward of Court office, dealing with his bank affairs and foreign pensions and state pension, liquidating all his assets including selling his house, liquidating investments. His assets were lodged with the Wards of Court office and I had been administering the Committee account for any day to day expenses. All nursing home fees were dealt with by the wards office.

My Uncle died in testate and once he is discharged from Wardship,a Grant of Administration has to be taken out. As I am extremely familiar with his affairs and am comfortable dealing with officialdom I would like to carry out the process myself.

I would appreciate any feedback on the following:

• His estate is extremely straightforward - there is only one bank account holding a smaller portion of his estate. The remainder, the bulk, is lodged with the Ward of Courts office.
  • The are only two beneficiaries in Ireland. Note I am not one of them and I will not receive any monies from his estate. The division of the estate is very straightforward is 25% for each of four sisters. My Mum is one of the beneficiaries. Two of the sisters live in the US.
  • There are no liabilities , the nursing home has been paid in full.There was a one month pension over-payment from the USA Social Security.
  • There is no foreign assets.
  • The Inland Revenue affidavit should be straight forward. I am unaware of any outstanding liabilities.
  • Is there any inherent difficulties in my personal application of the Grant of Administration that I may be unaware of and which a solicitor would be better placed to deal with?
  • Is it true that the Probate office takes longer for a personal application?
  • Will the process in the Probate office take longer as it is a Grant of Administration?
Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Back