Want to study Accountancy CIMA but concerned about 'Practical Experience Requirement'

milly123

Hello,

I'm hoping someone might have some advice for me. I qualified as an accounting technician some years ago and have always longed to go on and become a professional accountant. I have looked at ACCA, CPA etc. but the supervised training element was always against me, as am employed in a small company (manucaturing/service) with no other professional accountants working here.

I have recently been looking into pursuing the CIMA exams and I am confident that with the sufficient time put in, I have a good chance of passing the exams. But I am concerned about the final stage, which is the Practical Experience Requirements. While there are many areas that I would have plenty of experience in (Basics, IT etc) the requirement to have practical hands-on experience in the Core areas will be more difficult as I have no little or no experience, and am unlikely to, in my current role.

The course is expensive and I don't want to end up in a situation where I sucessfully complete the exams and then cannot be admitted as a member due to lack of "hands on" experience. Would I be better of doing a degree in accountancy ?

Has anyone been in this position - any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Back