Wall insulation stud vs dot n dab

imalwayshappy

Hi All,

I am looking at upgrading my home wall insulation. Made with 9 inch cavity block. I am considering using the 100m insulation which is attached to the plasterboard and using dot n dab. I have stud work there already (with old insulation from the 80's) probobly around 20mils. Am I better off

1. Removing the studwork back to the blocks and using the insulated plasterboard with dot and dab (complete insulation)
2. Keeping the stud work and just adding in the insulation in between. and re attaching plasterboard

Does the wood in the stud work act as a cold bridge? With the dot and dab approach it would appear that i am getting the walls completley insutlated as opposed to the stud work where I have gaps (from the wood studs).

Any advice appreciated.

Option 3: Remove current pb, battens & insulation. Mechanical fix the insulated plasterboard to the original block wall (I'm guessing this is bare, unplastered blockwork?). Use thermally broken fixings. Next neatly apply air tight tape to all junctions of the insulated board to other building elements (floors, window/door reveals, ceilings. If the floors are (suspended) timber floors, airtighten these also with lapped and taped air tight membrane. Skim pb, add skirting and decorate.

(Note: the above suggestion assumes a fair bit and some variations may be appropriate depending)

Option 3: Remove current pb, battens & insulation. Mechanical fix the insulated plasterboard to the original block wall (I'm guessing this is bare, unplastered blockwork?). Use thermally broken fixings. Next neatly apply air tight tape to all junctions of the insulated board to other building elements (floors, window/door reveals, ceilings. If the floors are (suspended) timber floors, airtighten these also with lapped and taped air tight membrane. Skim pb, add skirting and decorate.

(Note: the above suggestion assumes a fair bit and some variations may be appropriate depending)
Thanks and a very good point. I am wondering though, would it be deemed insane to remove studwork? I just want to ensure I am not trading a porsch for an opel. I.e. would people regard me nuts for removing studwork. Yes you are correct it's just blockwork no plaster.

Thanks and a very good point. I am wondering though, would it be deemed insane to remove studwork? I just want to ensure I am not trading a porsch for an opel. I.e. would people regard me nuts for removing studwork. Yes you are correct it's just blockwork no plaster.
If your walls are not plastered then you've a lada, not an opel!
Not just adding insulation but also addressing the air tightness of your walls will be a big part of your solution. Go with option 3 as described.
If you're not familiar with air tightness and how important it is in our climate then do some research on the subject ... and don't forget about appropriate ventilation.

Back