Waiver on house

• Thread starter 40something
  • Start date

40something

My girlfriend is separated for over 3 years and as part of her agreement with her ex-husband, she paid him 50k for his share of the house (this is the amount he asked for). She then transferred the mortgage into her own name and now owns the house. We are planning to move in together now to a new property. This will necessitate the sale of both my property and hers. She will expect to get nearly 400k for her own property. Her ex has now started to suggest that he is not happy with the 50k he received 3 years ago and will be looking for more when she sells her property. He did not use a solicitor for the original legal document signing but did sign a second document at the time saying he was happy to proceed in this manner. The only money she is receiving from her ex is the minimum he is obliged to pay for his children. We are concerned for the following :

1. Can he claim any money from her at this time when she sells the property
2. Can he claim anything from either of us in the future when we move in together
3. When they get divorced in the future will he be able to make any additional claims

Thks.

1. yes
2. yes - from her only
3. yes.

I am not saying that such claims would be successful, merely that they can be made and the court will listen.

There is no such thing as a 'clean break' divorce in Ireland. Either party can always go back to court.

Back