Waiting time for OPFP

Aleanne

Hi guys,

I applied for OPFP in August and had an interview with the Inspector in November. I was under the impression that a decision shouldn't take too much longer after that. However, I still have not heard anything. I have rang my local office numerous times to be told that they are working in rotation and there is quite a backlog. I completely understand this as I'm sure their workload has increased and they are under pressure.

I decided to call into the local office yesterday on the off chance that maybe, being there in person, I'd get a more definitive answer. The lady gave me a phone number to call and told me to call straight away and stress I had the meeting with the inspector in November and I have heard nothing since. I called the number and got through to the same lady who answers the phone in the local office! She told me they are processing claims they got in February!! Needless to say I was in shock. 11 months to process a claim! Surely there can't be that much of a backlog??
Does this sound right?
Has anybody any experience of long waiting times?
Would it be advisable to get a TD involved?

I am working part time and this is my only source of income at the moment. It's a massive struggle.

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you're working less than 30 hrs per week, you may be entitled to Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA) while you wait on a decision on your OFP.

SWA is means-tested, so your income plus any savings/investments/property you may have would be assessed.

This booklet may be of assistance:

[broken link removed]

SWA is administered by Dept of Social Protection (DSP) officers who are generally based at HSE health centres

Thanks for the reply Gipimann.

I'm working 20hrs per week but was told that because I'm working, I would not qualify for SWA.

I have also applied for FIS but as I understand it, that cannot be processed until there is a decision on OPFP. Do you know if this is the case?

Thanks again

The fact that you work 20hrs per week doesn't of itself disqualify you from SWA, however your income may be higher than the equivalent SWA rate for your family size so you may fail the means test.

While FIS isn't counted as means for OFP, OFP is counted as means when deciding entitlement to FIS. This is why your FIS claim can't be finalised until your OFP entitlement has been decided.

Hi just to update.

I got a call on Friday saying the OPFP has been granted. *huge sigh of relief*.
I got the letter today explaining how my means were calculated. I don't think they were calculated correctly. This is how she calculated it:

She took my GROSS monthly wage €1057.19 and subtracted my pension contribution of €52.86 and divided by 4 to get the weekly figure of €251.08. She didn't subtract the USC of €25.55.

The way I was calculating it was taking my NET monthly wage of €978.78 and multiplying by 12 and dividing by 52 to get the weekly figure of €225.87.

Can anybody advise me as to what the correct calculation would be and would there be any point in appealing it?

When i had my interview with the Inspector he told me I can appeal to have it backdated an extra month due to the fact that I couldn't apply until I had a payslip, which delayed the application by a month. Does anyone know if this is true? I'm completely new to all of this.

Thanks

The only deductions from gross pay allowed for OPFP are:

Social insurance contributions, superannuation/PRSA contributions and trade union subscriptions are not taken into account in the assessment of earnings

(taken from welfare.ie - link below).

Your net income which you used would have included non-allowable deductions such as USC and Income Tax.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BirthChildrenAndFamilies/OneParentFamilies/Pages/opfp.aspx

If the inspector has suggested making an appeal based on the delay in getting some information/documentation, then make the appeal - you've got nothing to lose.

Back