Waiting on Appeal

J

jules08

Hi there

I am currently waiting on an appeal of an overpayment of social welfare benefit. I filled in the forms to show reason to disagree with this and sent them to the department, but the inspector didn't agree so sent them off for an appeal. (which i didn't actually want to go that far but they were sent).
This was back in august. Do they usually need to hold an oral hearing? I don't mind if they give me a decision by letter but if they decide to hold an oral hearing can i decline to go? i wouldn't be up for something like that, i'd just rather paid the overpayment to end it all

thanks

You can only appeal an official decision. So did you appeal the decision that caused the overpayment or the amount of the overpayment itself? oral hearings usually happen when there is sufficient evidence on the written appeal to warrant further investigation by an appeals officer. Summary appeals happen when the appelant cleqarly does not state sufficient grounds to overturn the original decision (i.e "I wish to appeal because I have no money".)

Hi thanks for the reply

I appealed the decision made by the inspector of my local social welfare office plus the amount of the overpayment
Saying, without going into detail that i was prepared to repay half as i didn't have enough evidence to wrie off the total overpayment. but the social didn't have enough evidence themselves to claim the full amount back.
I originally only wanted to suggest to the inspector i pay half back, which i stated in a letter along wth forms i was given. She rang sayin she did not agree to this so she sent it on to the appeals office.
I don't want it going to an oral hearing, too stressful.

As Welfarite has said , it may not go to an Oral Hearing , the Appeals Officer may make a decision based on written statements from both sides. If it does go to an Oral Hearing then it may be that the Appeals Officer would only request one side to be present.

Last edited:
Back