VW Transporter sluggish

Froggie

My 00-D-Reg VW Transporter 1.9td has become sluggish and hard on diesel, I thought a good service would sort it out but no joy. A mechanic has suggested that a servo (he didnt say which servo) may need replacing at a cost of about €500. From experience with an older Transporter I was hoping it might be something simple like a broken connection or a duff relay. Any thoughts on this?

how about the air mass meter, or air flowmeter as its called,,
can have the same sympton

My 06 is doing the same thing (60,000miles on clock). Its also burning a lot of oil any ideas?

how about the air mass meter, or air flowmeter as its called,,
can have the same sympton
Yeah agreed, sounds like a possible culprit.

Its easy enough to check. A black plastic pipe runs from the air-filter housing to the turbo. There is a black plug with electrical connections close to the air-filter housing that plugs into the black plastic pipe. Unplug this and run the van. If you still see the same symptoms (sluggish, drinking diesel) that's your problem.

A new MAF sensor is about 50 yoyos from VW or a Bosch unit from a motor-factors.

A 00 1.9td transporter does not have an air mass meter, it is most likely a small shock asborber on the diesel pump that damps the movement of the throttle, simply remove it and dont replace it because it does not need it.
Failing this the throttle cables tend to seize and collapse as you press the throttle, you can see this with the help of a second person pressing the throttle and looking at the cable near the bulkhead, if the small shock absorber on the pump is stiff, it will cause the cable to collapse as well.

A 00 1.9td transporter does not have an air mass meter, it is most likely a small shock asborber on the diesel pump that damps the movement of the throttle, simply remove it and dont replace it because it does not need it.
Failing this the throttle cables tend to seize and collapse as you press the throttle, you can see this with the help of a second person pressing the throttle and looking at the cable near the bulkhead, if the small shock absorber on the pump is stiff, it will cause the cable to collapse as well.
Thanks lads, it was a stretched throttle cable after all, its amazing how useful it can be to have another person sit in the van and press stuff so as to watch the operation. I might have a look at the shock absorber on the pump too just in case.

Back