VW Passat warranty just out

browtal

I have a VW Passat bought May 2011. They offer a guarantee of 2 years.
I have a problem with warning lights on and when I brought it to the agents, today, where I purchased it they told me that the exhaust valve needed to be replaced at a cost of €850.

I have 28,000 km on the clock and have had it services as suggested I find it difficult to accept that it should not be done under warranty.

Apparently the guarantee period is 2 yrs in Ireland and 3 years in Britain, I wonder why?

Also just because they consider 2 years a fair period to guarantee the vehicle
does not mean that 2 months following the expiry it is reasonable to accept a breakdown such as this.

Does any askaboutmoneyer have any advice.
Browtal

passat

I also drive a diesel passat 08. If you have only 28000 km up it seems a bit early for an exhaust valve to go. Google the VW head office and email them or ring them and see if they are willing to do anything for you.They often have a discretion with warranty work that the dealer wont have. Secondly ring around and see how other vw garages are price wise. 28k km is only 17.5k miles and thats very early unless the exhaust box got a belt or a shunt somehow ?

Westgolf

All Distributors have a goodwill policy which is used in cases such as yours. (year outside warranty) You dont need to approach VW. This should be done through your Dealer. Ask your Dealer to request goodwill through customer service at VW. Dealer should make the contact. Usually, Distributor may agree to cover parts and Dealer labour, but that depends if you have a service history with that dealer you are now approaching as they will not want to give free labour to someone who is not a customer of theirs. It will also depend on if your car was serviced by authorised repairer as to whether VW will row in or not. Hope this helps

I have a VW Passat bought May 2011. They offer a guarantee of 2 years.
I have a problem with warning lights on and when I brought it to the agents, today, where I purchased it they told me that the exhaust valve needed to be replaced at a cost of €850.

I have 28,000 km on the clock and have had it services as suggested I find it difficult to accept that it should not be done under warranty.

Apparently the guarantee period is 2 yrs in Ireland and 3 years in Britain, I wonder why?

Also just because they consider 2 years a fair period to guarantee the vehicle
does not mean that 2 months following the expiry it is reasonable to accept a breakdown such as this.

Does any askaboutmoneyer have any advice.
Browtal

A guarantee is in addition to your consumer rights.

http://www.nca.ie/nca/faulty-goods

Does your car have a dpf?

Hi to all you kind askaboutmoneyers for your replies. I have a very successful outcome, due to persistence and your reassurance of my position.

Today the agent phoned me and as a gesture of goodwill will fund the repairs. Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Regards Browtal

Congrats on the great result Browtal. Just shows what knowing your rights can achieve.

Back