VW Golf TDI losing power

Guns N Roses

Hi all,

I have a 2009 VW Golf Mk6 2.0TDI 110bhp. On my usual commute this morning the engine management warning light came on followed by a lost of power. When I pulled up, turn off and restarted the engine all seemed fine. This happen twice more during the day. I suspect the turbo may be on the way out.

Is this costly repair?

Also if I were to trade in the car for a newer model, am I obliged to disclose the problem to the dealer in question?

Regards

Guns N Roses

Sounds like an ignition coil is gone. On the MK5 golf they will go one after the other, one on each cylinder. You'll experience an intermittent power failure, then it'll come right again. Get them done one by one or altogether to save time.
No point trying to hide it, it's not a terribly expensive job & really anyone doing their homework on buying a second hand MK5 golf should know this is a common problem & ask the question if the ignition coils have been changed, like you'd look for service history, timing belt, clutch etc.

Ooops sorry I've just seen that yours is a MK6, but I'd reckon it's still the ignition coils

Ignition coils on a diesel? I don't think so unless VW diesel are very different.

OP do you know anyone with a VW diagnostic computer? A CEL can be anything from a simple emissions limit exceed momentarily to something a lot more more sinister. Without a diagnostic code of some kind it could be anything (RGR valve, airflow sensor, turbo, injector ....) It;s going into limp mode but that's a symptom not a diagnosis.

RGR valve typo, should be EGR valve.

Hey don't fret,I bet I know what it is,
sound like exactly same pbm I had on my golf ( same year and model as yours) about 9 mths ago, its your EGR Valve. (The EGR valve is a crucial part of your car's emission control system.- according to Google)

I was lucky that a work mate told me to go to a guy that had the machine to plug the car in ( diagnose) and not the main dealer. anyways, he diagnosed it but wouldn't touch it as it was just 2 months out of warranty and said to go back to VW and see what they would do. they gave me a new valve thing under goodwill ( note my car is an import and VW still stood over it- happy camper)

only had to pay for labour.
Let me know how you go.

Glow plug...same difference. Chances are most people will know it as ignition coil.

Glow plug...same difference. Chances are most people will know it as ignition coil.

Not the same difference at all. Mathepac highlighted the obvious difference between petrol/diesel etc. plus the glow plugs issue wouldn't cause intermittent power loss as they aren't used once the car is running.

OP; check the airflow sensor and the intercooler hoses.

Back