vw bora altenator

tosh100

got a quote of €280 for replacement and fitting of new altenator on a 99 bora tdi - is this reasonable?

Why not try an auto electrician for a refurbished unit or repair of your existing one . I would stay away from the main dealers.

fyi:I have a Mazda 323 and was quote 1000 for a new alternator. I got it refurbished for 50 quid!!

Try the golden pages.. Car dismantlers.. You will pick one up second hand very reasonably... Just need to get it fitted or fit it yourself.

Getting your own repaired is the best bet,most repairers give a warranty(ask first!!) at least you know what you have under the bonnet when it's repaired.A car dismantlers alternator could be on it's last legs(warranty unheard of)I've been there&done that!

The reconditioning of the old one is probably the best bet. There are probably a few variants at least you know once repaired the original will definitely fit back in.

I know the altenator on my passat tdi is rght at the top front of the engine, could be a handy enough DIY job to remove and replace.

Back