VTOS - Illness benefit v JB

zippidydo

Hi, I am hoping to start a VTOS course in September and am currently on Illness benefit following surgery. I will most likely be fit for work around September but just need to check if I need to switch to JB sooner before I start VTOS. My understanding is if I go from Illness benefit onto VTOS and am deemed fit for work at a later stage while on VTOS I would recieve no payment for duration of course as I would not qualify for JB while on a course. VTOS will look for confirmation from Social Welfare soon on my current eligibility and payment and I would need an exemption from Illness Benefit to go ahead with course, so would therefore stay on Illness benefit. Should I switch now to JB before this happens and if I have a claim in JB pending when signing up to VTOS will this be OK? Any advice appreciated, Thanks.

Also wondering if I am on JB and have a letter accepting me on VTOS but not starting until September will I carry on recieving JB if I show them this letter the next day I need to sign on? Just in case they are sending me on job interviews or looking for proof of job hunting, would like to say I am waiting to start course but don't want my JB cut in meantime!

In order to remain on JB you must be actively seeking work, regardless of what future plans you have.

VTOS - Illness beneit v JB

Thanks Gipimann, so am I right in thinking that between now and my course starting I must apply for other jobs and attend any interviews that Social Welfare ask me to attend? Also, theres no point in showing Social welfare my acceptance letter for VTOS as I still need to look for alternative work in the meantime (July and August) and continue to claim JB until VTOS starts? Thanks.

Back