VRT & Vehicle Siezure

Depends exactly what "cleared it for €50" means I suppose.

€50.00 is commercial clearance, i put the seats back in to sell it back into the North of Ireland,got caught in the period between the conversion done and trip to the North

As a compliant taxpayer - PAYE, car tax, buying my food locally etc I find it hard to stomach people who don't make a connection between earning at high Irish rates (highest minimum wage in Europe), paying relatively low Irish personal tax and social insurance and then seek to avoid or evade local taxes such as VRT.

It was still a premeditated and deliberate act to evade tax. Nobody likes VRT, and it's anti competition clearly, but it's the law, and has to be paid like all other taxes due.

I liken scamming to theft.

its not theft or scamming, i needed to sell the vehicle, and the market in the North is better than here for high end vehicles,i was unfortunate not to have removed the vehicle ASAP.

its not theft or scamming, i needed to sell the vehicle, and the market in the North is better than here for high end vehicles,i was unfortunate not to have removed the vehicle ASAP.

But you cleared it as a commercial vehicle? and when you were pulled over you were in a non commercial vehicle? These are the same 4 x 4?

Were you aware that this is a common scam? or do you belive you did nothing wrong?

It was all over the news a few months back how reputable garages were removing back seats/seat belts from 4 x 4's and passing them off as commercial vechiles for paying clients. Once VRT of €50 was paid, it was then back to garage to have seats/seat belts put back in, hence becoming a private vechile and no longer applicable to the €50 commercial charge. Its a scam the custom lads have cottoned onto and OP was unlucky to get caught.

My conversion back to a passanger was only so i could sell the vehicle back into the North, I had no plans to keep it in the state, I was unfortunate to be stopped and have the vehicle siezed, but i think the revenue are forcing me into paying the VRT, and not not offering me the correct options.

Very relevant I'd say?

car was cleared as a commercial, and my financial situation forced me to sell the vehicle, and my only viable cost effective option was sell it back into the north, but there is no market for a commercial 4x4 in the north, therefore the seats had to go back in, and i was stopped by customs before i had a chance to bring the vehicle to the north. no other reason for the conversion. just unfortunate.

It's a pity you didn't place the seats in the back of the vehicle, throw a cover over them etc. until you hit the UK. At least you could have argued that you were only transporting them.

I suspect that the reason they seized the vehicle is because you failed to re-register it as an Irish vehicle. You left the time lapse so they seized it.

But you cleared it as a commercial vehicle? and when you were pulled over you were in a non commercial vehicle? These are the same 4 x 4?

Were you aware that this is a common scam? or do you belive you did nothing wrong?

i was aware of the previous cases where people had reconverted their vehicles, but my intention was not the same,my plan was get the seats back in and bring the vehicle back to the north, but I was unfortunate to be stopped before i got the vehicle out of the state. simple.

It's a pity you didn't place the seats in the back of the vehicle, throw a cover over them etc. until you hit the UK. At least you could have argued that you were only transporting them.

I suspect that the reason they seized the vehicle is because you failed to re-register it as an Irish vehicle. You left the time lapse so they seized it.

vehicle was on Irish plates, but as a commercial, but I need to seel the vehicle back into the north, and there is no market for a comm 4x4, so the seats where put back in, but i got stopped by customs before i got the vehicle out of the state.

Such sharpe practices? You think VRT is a fair tax? Show below, a nice article from Mr. Williams in relation to VRT.

I think the OP will find plenty of support.

"Traipse over to Britain. You find your dream car for, let’s say, £18,000.You bring it back to Ireland. You are then confronted with the first tax - VRT. So already the state is bending the rules.

Resigned, you are then prepared to pay the tax on the euro value of the sterling cost of the car. So the first rule of the Treaty of Rome is broken the minute you get off the boat at Dun Laoghaire, because any tax on any good at the point of entry contravenes the original Treaty of Rome.

But worse is to come. The Revenue then judge that it’s not the cost of the car in Britain that counts for the tax, it is some Orwellian-sounding levy called the ‘‘open market selling price’’. The Revenue, in an approach which protects Irish car dealers, squeeze money out of the beleaguered Irish motorist with another, extra tax.

They calculate the difference between what the car cost in the free, unfettered market of Britain and what it might cost here in the protected, sewn-up kleptocracy that is Ireland and then slap another totally unjustified tax on top of the original totally unjustified tax.

If you want to see how this shameless infringement of EU law works, check out https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ showCarCalculator. Rather than enhance competition, our government smothers it. The motorist is being penalised twice to protect Irish car dealers who have being making a fortune in recent years by selling overpriced cars. The state, therefore, is not only breaking the rules of the EU but, more egregiously, is protecting an industry here which is actually doing nothing.
so if the state is breaking the rules, why isn't is being stopped? I know its the million dollar question, but surely its black & white...

i was aware of the previous cases where people had reconverted their vehicles, but my intention was not the same,my plan was get the seats back in and bring the vehicle back to the north, but I was unfortunate to be stopped before i got the vehicle out of the state. simple.
thats a kick in the teeth....will they not let you take the seats out and reclaim the vehicle?

Look, from the Customs point of view they caught you in a jeep, registered as a commercial, and reconverted to passenger use.

You say you merely intended to sell it on in the North after reconversion, but that's impossible to prove.

It may have been pure bad luck. Had you done the reconversion a day before taking it up north to sell you have my sympathy. Had it been done weeks or months beforehand you were chancing your arm.

p.s. Where did you get the interior - seats, door cards etc. btw?

Back