VRT Fraud or not

I currently drive an English registered vehicle. I believe that as a member of Europe we should comply with european laws and directives (as is my constitutional right since the constitution was changed upon joining Europe) - as such the Irish Government is applying an unfair tax which does not uphold the fair movement of goods withen the E.U maxim. (as the vehicle was already taxed upon entering the EU)
I have wrote a letter to the E.U regarding this and they have replied that they have requested that the governement cease such practices.

Its only by peoples refusal to abide by this unfair tax system will the current unlawfull practice be highlighted.

We have one of the lowest (if not the lowest) income tax regimes in the E.U. We then have indirect tax on a lot of items (such as V.R.T.) to reach the level of tax income to fund the necessary services.

Remove V.R.T. and that money must be got in some other form:

1. an increase on everyone's P.A.Y.E. tax rate
2. some other tax on car usage to the same value as V.R.T.

Either way you gots to pay - V.R.T. seems the fairer of the options to me.

This has no relevance to the case the OP mentioned, as the car in question is still driving on the UK plates.

As csirl stated...

.... the exemption requires ownership in the UK for six months and ownership in Ireland for 12 months before the sale of the car, but even with the exemption the car must be registered here in Ireland.

see previous posts - - the term "pay VRT" was used - - if as what you say is true - then no vrt is payable - you simply have to register the car

I currently drive an English registered vehicle.
So where is your vehicle insured, i.e. how did you answer the 'where is the vehicle normally kept' question on the insurance proposal form?
I don't think there are loopholes.. just lack of enforcement for whatever reason and people taking a chance.
Are you sure about the lack of enforcement? You might want to check [broken link removed] (subscription required).
OFFICIALS FROM Revenue's customs service seized more than 300 vehicles, including 49 high-value cars, netting more than €3 million in taxes and penalties in 2007
In particular, note their 'value-add' approach whereby they seem to do a full tax audit on VRT offenders which brings in even more money.

In particular, note their 'value-add' approach whereby they seem to do a full tax audit on VRT offenders which brings in even more money.

Good point. Revenue have a view that if you are dishonest in one aspect of your taxation that you are an untruthful person so it is likely you are being dishonest in other areas of your taxation.

Are you sure about the lack of enforcement? You might want to check [broken link removed] (subscription required).

300 vehicles in one full year is hardly an achivement... I am seing dozen of eastern european registered cars on the road every day. I don't think they commute to Ireland every day to work (arguable point for NI and may be UK mainland reg cars based in NI)

why are people offering their subjective opinion on fairness on VRT, if it is due he should have to pay it simple as that. evasion of VRT, benefit fraud, all other tax evasion just means the rest of us have to share the burden.

the key risk is that if he has an accident in ireland and when the insurance company reviews details and investigates further it is more than likely to be in breach of policy conditions on several counts (vehicle based in ireland, primary driver incorrect) and as such would mean he is essentially uninsured.

also .....many think stamp duty is unfair but does not leave it optional !

300 vehicles in one full year is hardly an achivement... I am seing dozen of eastern european registered cars on the road every day. I don't think they commute to Ireland every day to work (arguable point for NI and may be UK mainland reg cars based in NI)

If somebody is temporarily here, e.g. on a short-term work contract, they are quite entitled to bring their own car over with them.

Back