VRT Examples

RSMike

Maybe people could post some real VRT examples here (CO2 figures available at , current new cars prices at www.carzone.ie)

Here is an example for the BMW 116i ( a fairly low CO2 emitting car for its engine size):

BMW 116i

Before July 2008
Pre Tax €19,967
VRT@25% €4,992
€24,959
VAT@21% €5,241
Purchase Price €30,200

After July 2008

BMW 116i (CO2 139g/km)
Pre Tax €19,967
VRT@16% € 3,195
€23,162
VAT@21% €4.864
Purchase Price €28,026

The fact that the VRT changes are not coming in until July 1 could cause some interesting anomalies in the car market, e.g. Would garages be tempted to stock up in the short term on gas guzzlers, Where as anything environment friendly will not shift until July 1, Maybe garages will start discounting the lower emitting cars, ;-)

I will be changing my car in March next year. I had been thinking of going for a Saab 93 Biofuel. Could anyone advise me as to what difference the changes in VRT will make to the price of this car. Would I be better to wait until The VRT changes to come into effect?
I'd love to know why, if Brain Cowen is pushing the "green" argument for car purchasing, why do Revenue continue to charge company car drivers less BIK the more miles they drive. Would it not be much more logical to encourage the thousands of company car drivers to switch to less CO2 producing cars by charging them less BIK to drive these cars?
Surely someone in the government must be aware of this contradiction for company car drivers. I know that all around the country at the moment are company car drivers desperately driving as many miles as possible to push them over the next mileage band by the end of the year in order to pay less BIK. Makes no sense to me!

Theoretically you could see a big price reduction, The 9-3 Biopower 1.8T is currently liable for 30% VRT.

When it run on E85 fuel its CO2 emissions can drop into the level for the lowest VRT band (14%), however thats only if its run on E85 biofuel, if its run on normal unleaded its CO2 figure is 178, which I'm sure is how they will classify it, then VRT will drop only to 28%, so not much difference, :-(

Hi Rsmike,

You might want to look at those calcs again. VRT is based on the open market selling price (OMSP). Effectively as far as I understand you effectively pay VRT on the VRT if you catch my drift.

Say OMSP was 40,000 and VRT was 30%. VRT is 12,000 rather than 28K by 30%.

Hi Rsmike,

You might want to look at those calcs again. VRT is based on the open market selling price (OMSP). Effectively as far as I understand you effectively pay VRT on the VRT if you catch my drift.

Say OMSP was 40,000 and VRT was 30%. VRT is 12,000 rather than 28K by 30%.

surely thats against the EU laws for free movement of goods, are we the only country that charges the insane tax?

joejoe

surely thats against the EU laws for free movement of goods, are we the only country that charges the insane tax?

joejoe

Its not called 'Rip-off Ireland' for nothing.

As someone who lives in a border area of RoI I do 99% of my buying in NI. I cannot believe how people can afford to live and do all their dealings in RoI - the value for money in NI compared to the south is very noticeable.

Unfortunately I am still involved in the whole car/VRT nonsense as I have to own a southern reg car.

Maybe people could post some real VRT examples here (CO2 figures available at , current new cars prices at www.carzone.ie)

Here is an example for the BMW 116i ( a fairly low CO2 emitting car for its engine size):

BMW 116i

Before July 2008
Pre Tax €19,967
VRT@25% €4,992
€24,959
VAT@21% €5,241
Purchase Price €30,200

After July 2008

BMW 116i (CO2 139g/km)
Pre Tax €19,967
VRT@16% € 3,195
€23,162
VAT@21% €4.864
Purchase Price €28,026

The fact that the VRT changes are not coming in until July 1 could cause some interesting anomalies in the car market, e.g. Would garages be tempted to stock up in the short term on gas guzzlers, Where as anything environment friendly will not shift until July 1, Maybe garages will start discounting the lower emitting cars, ;-)

Anyone got a link to where I can see the actual new VRT rates?

Theoretically you could see a big price reduction, The 9-3 Biopower 1.8T is currently liable for 30% VRT.

When it run on E85 fuel its CO2 emissions can drop into the level for the lowest VRT band (14%), however thats only if its run on E85 biofuel, if its run on normal unleaded its CO2 figure is 178, which I'm sure is how they will classify it, then VRT will drop only to 28%, so not much difference, :-(

Thanks for that. I had a look at a copy of the budget and couldn't see how he would classify the biofuel cars. Currently there's a VRT rebate of 50% on these cars so is it possible that they will actually end up more expensive? It doesn't defeat the point of driving these cars but does take away the financial incentive.

Thanks for that. I had a look at a copy of the budget and couldn't see how he would classify the biofuel cars. Currently there's a VRT rebate of 50% on these cars so is it possible that they will actually end up more expensive? It doesn't defeat the point of driving these cars but does take away the financial incentive.

reports yesterday said he was increasing the VRT rebate threshold on eco cars by 2500. Full details on how the whole system is going to work will not be released for some time - though Gormly is going to speak on the matter today in hte Dail.
My guess is that we will adopt the banding scale used in the UK.

reports yesterday said he was increasing the VRT rebate threshold on eco cars by 2500. Specific details on how the whole system is going to work will not be released for some time.
My guess is that we will adopt the banding scale used in the UK.

Thanks Soy. I don't think I'll be making a final decision until I see exactly how it pans out. I had a quick look at the UK website, but it doesn't look as if they give a reduction for a biofuel car as they seem to classify it based on the CO2 emmissions when it's run on petrol.

BMW 116i

Before July 2008
Pre Tax €19,967
VRT@25% €4,992
€24,959
VAT@21% €5,241
Purchase Price €30,200

After July 2008

BMW 116i (CO2 139g/km)
Pre Tax €19,967
VRT@16% € 3,195
€23,162
VAT@21% €4.864
Purchase Price €28,026

Hi, can you tell me the VRT costs on an Emissions rating of 161 or point us at a list of the VRT costs according to the new budget.

Emissions ratings can be retrieved @

RSMike,
Your calculations have an error in how VRT is applied. I was not sure myself so I checked the SIMI website at
[broken link removed]
The critical line here is that
"Vehicle Registration Tax is applied ad valorem which means it is applied on a value which includes the tax itself"

So in your example above the VRT paid on a 116i is €7550 not €4992.
So you need to work backwards from the purchase price to arrive at the pre tax price as follows: (note VAT is not applied ad valorem)

Old VRT rate 25.00%
VAT rate 21.00%

Old purchase price €30,200.00
Deduct Old VRT €22,650.00
Deduct VAT €18,719.01

Pre Tax Price €18,719.01

Now apply VAT and the new VRT rate:

New VRT rate 20.00%
VAT rate 21.00%

Pre Tax Price €18,719.01
Add VAT €22,650.00
Add new VRT to arrive at new purchase price €28,312.50

gIvestor - the new VRT rates are at:
http://www.budget.gov.ie/2008/downloads/AnnexD.pdf

Thanks Soy. I don't think I'll be making a final decision until I see exactly how it pans out. I had a quick look at the UK website, but it doesn't look as if they give a reduction for a biofuel car as they seem to classify it based on the CO2 emmissions when it's run on petrol.

I'm also considering this car next year. Maxol garage 2 mins down the road and the car actually runs better on biofuel (usually the other way around for most biofuel cars). I can't believe they are basing the emissions on petrol. What kind of incentive is that! Clearly the governments idea of meeting our CO2 emission targets is to have everyone driving diesel. We may have less CO2 but we'll all be going around wearing masks and goggles!

I'm also considering this car next year. Maxol garage 2 mins down the road and the car actually runs better on biofuel (usually the other way around for most biofuel cars). I can't believe they are basing the emissions on petrol. What kind of incentive is that! Clearly the governments idea of meeting our CO2 emission targets is to have everyone driving diesel. We may have less CO2 but we'll all be going around wearing masks and goggles!

Agreed - I think that using the "green" argument for these changes is pure laughable. There doesn't look to be any encouragement for driving cars which can run on biofuel. As for company car BIK - the situation is just crazy as it encourages more driving. Is there anybody sensible in the government looking at these issues? I really thought having John Gormley as Environment Minister might make a difference but it doesn't seem to have changed a thing.

"Vehicle Registration Tax is applied ad valorem which means it is applied on a value which includes the tax itself"

Bloody Hell, thanks Amadan, (Alan Moore pointed out my error also), so VRT is even worse than I suspected.

But not sure the new figure is correct either as the new VRT rate I reckon for a Car with a 139 CO2 figure is 16%?

:confused:

Agreed - I think that using the "green" argument for these changes is pure laughable. There doesn't look to be any encouragement for driving cars which can run on biofuel.

it wouldn't make people change to Biofuel necessarily, but it would certainly make them check what their engines CO2 emissions are.
Not meaning to sound like a tree-hugger, but I guess the government are looking to increase awareness. I don't have a clue what CO2 my engine emits, but I'll certainly know before the end of today.

The VRT and Road Tax changes will make diesels very popular.

For example, an Audi A3 1.8T is now over 225g, so is liable for €2k pa road tax in the higher band!
same story with a Mazda RX8 (268g/Km)

Whereas, on the other hand:
a BMW 320d is now in the same band as a 1.2 Micra or 1.4 Ford, €290 pa.

Hi Paddy, That example is very interesting. Looks like sales of diesel cars will be going up enormously next year.

For example, an Audi A3 1.8T is now over 225g, so is liable for €2k pa road tax in the higher band!
same story with a Mazda RX8 (268g/Km)

Whereas, on the other hand:
a BMW 320d is now in the same band as a 1.2 Micra or 1.4 Ford, €290 pa.

I thought there was juat a flat 9.5% increase on road tax up to 2.5 litres, so the Audi 1.8 (assuming its the usual 1798cc or something like that) would be €576 pa and the 320D would be €641 pa ??

No one in their right mind will pay €2000 road tax for a 1.8 ltr car. Bad co2 or not. The Automotive industry would be up in arms, and they would loose too much money on the sale of new cars. Everyone would buy older (pre '08) cars .

Back