Voluntary prsi contributions

It is a total minefield if you have anything other than Class A contributions. I also worked in Australia for a year so think these contributions can be combined but it still won't bring me up to the 520 and I want to use the UK ones for a pension there.

New question in relation to the OH who has similar but different mixed stamps.

179 Paid A. 181 Credits (unemployed)
Approx 6 years self-employed in Spain (not sure where I can get that record from)
1 year in Australia
The rest are D stamps which he is paying currently.

If he combined his Spanish with his A it brings him to 491 (can he use the credits to make up?) or if added Australia would be over 520.
I am also looking to buy back his UK years so he can hopefully get at least half pension there.

Would be great if there was a calculator you could just put the figures in and it did an estimate.

The credits cannot be used.

If it turns out that the Australian contributions cannot be used then the following might be possible.

If your OH can reach the 520 level by combining his 179 paid class A and his current class D he could then work for 1 week at class A after he retires from his public sector employment. He would qualify for voluntary contributions and could then make some voluntary A contributions to add with his Spanish ones to reach the required 520 full rate paid Prsi contributions.

Last edited:
You are still within the 5 year limit for paying voluntary contributions for the time while you were in Australia. I think you should probably close that gap in your record ASAP.

You are still within the 5 year limit for paying voluntary contributions for the time while you were in Australia. I think you should probably close that gap in your record ASAP.
I don't think I can as I paid a D stamp before I left. OH is the same. Happy to be proved wrong.

Back