Voluntary PRSI contributions when working?

askalot

My wife didn't work in 2008 and is going to make a voluntary PRSI contribution to make up the shortfall. She has returned to part-time work this year, 24 hours a week. She is paid weekly and would be below the PRSI payment threshold most weeks, PRSI only becomes payable on weeks where she does overtime which pushes her pay above the threshold.

If she continues to work for the rest of 09 should she request to make voluntary contributions for the weeks where no PRSI is taken by payroll?

Thanks in advance.

If she earns over 38 a week, which presumably she is, then she is covered under Class A. What exactly do you mean by 'below the PRSI threshold'? Remmewbr, her emplyer is paying PRSI on her behalf when her earnings aren't high enough.

What exactly do you mean by 'below the PRSI threshold'? Remmewbr, her employer is paying PRSI on her behalf when her earnings aren't high enough.

She earns less than 352 per week so pays no PRSI. Stupidly I didn't think about the employer's PRSI which I can see from your link is 8.5% and her pay slips correspond with this. So does this mean she won't need to make voluntary contributions for this year?

She earns less than 352 per week so pays no PRSI. Stupidly I didn't think about the employer's PRSI which I can see from your link is 8.5% and her pay slips correspond with this. So does this mean she won't need to make voluntary contributions for this year?

Yep, she is ok as she is getting a Class A contribution paid every week she works, whether she or her employer actually pays it.

Back