vista part of package should i ask for XP?

positivenote

Hi all,
im getting a laptop for a friend of mine, ive decided on a dell and the package they're offering features vista os. I'm not going for any software as i have copies of MS Office that i can give him and save him a few bob, but the question is will older versions of office work on vista OS or am i better off ringing dell and askingt for XP as the OS instead of vista...
thanks in advance

Yes yes yes yes yes. Go with XP. As you will see from previous threads with me I had dreadful probs with vista on my new pc from dell. Eventually had to restore factory settings again losing all I had downloaded and saved. Any additional progs or downloads seemed to stall it. Stay with XP for another year until some of the probs with vista have been sorted out. Even dell said they have had numerous probs and complaints

I bought a dell laptop for the folks a couple of months ago with vista as standard. The laptop came with 512b of ram and its a very very very slow.
Sorry I didn't get xp instead.

One other thing to watch out for - device driver support is a bit patchy for Vista at the moment. For instance if you already have a wireless USB card the chances are that there is no vista support. It will take another 18 months or so for all this to be in place - overall XP is is much more solid platform at present.

Given the choice between XP and Vista I would stick with the former for the forseeable future.

XP is a far more stable platform. Vista as with any new microsoft product is going to cause problems.
Dont get me wrong, Vista is great to mess with to find out all the new stuff, but if you need a reliable business system do NOT use Vista until they smooth it out.

Unless you are going to get 2048MB (2Gig) of RAM dont bother with Visat. It will run far too slowly.....

From what I have seen of Vista it is not all that great.

I'd stick with XP (Pro) at least until the second service pack for Vista is released. Also, I'd use Open Office 2 instead of an unlicensed (or indeed licensed) copy of MS Office.

Back