Visiting Switzerland vs Croatia in July

TestLink

My family and 3 friends families are thinking about visiting either Switzerland or Croatia in July - 1 week / 4 families.

Switzerland:
We would be flying from Dublin to Basel We prefer to take Swizz travel pass for our stay there.
Any advice on which location to stay (prefer access near to public transport + Picturesque ) so that we can travel to all sides. Thanks...

Croatia:
Any advice on which location to stay (prefer access near to public transport + Beach + Picturesque ) so that we can travel to all sides incl Bosnia.
We would be flying from Dublin to Dubrovnik and would like to visit Medjugorje, Split, Zadar, Zagreb etc.

Any advice on which would be the best for families with kids and teens?

Please also suggest the best location to stay in eirther case. Thanks...

Would you consider flying in to Basel and staying on the France side?

My family and 3 friends families are thinking about visiting either Switzerland or Croatia in July - 1 week / 4 families.

Switzerland:
We would be flying from Dublin to Basel We prefer to take Swizz travel pass for our stay there.
Any advice on which location to stay (prefer access near to public transport + Picturesque ) so that we can travel to all sides. Thanks...

Croatia:
Any advice on which location to stay (prefer access near to public transport + Beach + Picturesque ) so that we can travel to all sides incl Bosnia.
We would be flying from Dublin to Dubrovnik and would like to visit Medjugorje, Split, Zadar, Zagreb etc.

Any advice on which would be the best for families with kids and teens?

Please also suggest the best location to stay in eirther case. Thanks...
not sure on where to stay to meet your requirements on places you want to travel to, and it seems a lot to cram into a week, but i can heartily recommend dubrovnik itself as a place to stay, its beautiful and you could easily spend a week there alone.

It was not in our mind till now. Would it be cheaper ? Location ?
Basel airport easy airport to use. Leave airport and get shuttle bus to local bus station. Travel to Colmar. https://www.visit.alsace/en/colmar/

We stayed in https://www.pierreetvacances.com/fr-fr/fp_CWL_location-residence-la-petite-venise Half way between train station and town. Easy walk. Back door from hotel complex leaves you even closer.

Day trip to Strasbourg on train very easy. No need for Swiss francs just use Euro.

not sure on where to stay to meet your requirements on places you want to travel to, and it seems a lot to cram into a week, but i can heartily recommend dubrovnik itself as a place to stay, its beautiful and you could easily spend a week there alone.
A week is a tight timeline for that extent in Croatia. You could probably do it, but you wouldn't have much time to put your feet up.
We've done Croatia twice. Spent a week in Istria region first time and loved it. Second time, spent 2 weeks.Flew into Dubrovnik and out of Split. Spent time in Dubrovnik area but stayed on Bosnian side, then visited Mostar, Kotor ( Montenegro, euro is used here...) and then stayed a bus-ride south of Split. I can recommend that also, with 2 teenagers. We had a rental car both times, but also used busses and uber. On balance, though , I preferred Istria.

A week is a tight timeline for that extent in Croatia. You could probably do it, but you wouldn't have much time to put your feet up.
We've done Croatia twice. Spent a week in Istria region first time and loved it. Second time, spent 2 weeks.Flew into Dubrovnik and out of Split. Spent time in Dubrovnik area but stayed on Bosnian side, then visited Mostar, Kotor ( Montenegro, euro is used here...) and then stayed a bus-ride south of Split. I can recommend that also, with 2 teenagers. We had a rental car both times, but also used busses and uber. On balance, though , I preferred Istria.
but stayed on Bosnian side - May I know the location you stayed? Any good hotels there? Any beach nearby?

We are thinking about flying as a family to Zurich (or Vienna) in the summer, spending a couple of days there and then getting the overnight sleeper train to Split in Croatia and flying back from there.

but stayed on Bosnian side - May I know the location you stayed? Any good hotels there? Any beach nearby?
We stayed in an Airbnb apt just across the border overlooking Dubrovnik. It's obviously inland and high up, so no beach....but a great pool. Its a few years ago and that whole area was being developed...but looked a little like a ghost estate. It suited our needs and expectations well....but you had to cross the border each day for trips into Dubrovnik. At that time it was a bit of hassle......especially in the heat of summer. Dubrovnik and Split are overrun with tourists ( including us tourists, I hasten to add) As I said, we had a rental car which helped as part of our road trip. We drove to Kotor and stayed there for a few days ( lovely spot) but friends did a boat day-trip from Dubrovnik. Teens often don't give much holiday enjoyment feedback, but my now college student daughter went back to Dubrovnik and Kotor last year so it must have been good. She also went to Albania and , apparently, its the new Croatia.
Mostar in Bosnia is worth a daytrip too.

Switzerland:

Exploring Switzerland by train with the Swiss travel pass I think is a very nice way to see the country. I would suggest that you base yourselves in Zürich or better still Luzern. You could do some nice boat trips on Lake Luzern and some very nice train trips, for example the Golden Pass Express from Luzern to Montreux. The journey takes 5.5 hours so might be better to spend the night in Montreux.

Another nice journey is the Gotthard Panorama Express from Luzern to Lugano (part boat, part train), perhaps with a night in Lugano

Then there is the Glacier Express, an 8 hour journey from Zermatt to St Moritz and the Bernina Express from St Moritz to Lugano, traveling through Italy but covered by the Swiss Pass.

There is also a Grand Train Tour of Switzerland, covers almost 1300 Km by rail, more or less all of the above combined.

You can check each of those scenic trains/routes online.

Back