VirusRemover 2008

wazee1974

Something called Virus Remover has installed itself on my computer and I can't seem to get it off. Anyone know how? My Norton security didn't pick it up and installed itself.

It sounds like malware.

Wipe your hard disc and re-install the original operating system.

This may sound harsh, but I've given up on surgery.

VirusRemover 2008 and Antivirus 2008 are two apps that people seem to be getting lately. They are relatively difficult to remove.

Be careful when downloading another product that promises to remove specific programs, they are not always as they seem.

Go out and get yourself a copy of AdAware and/or one of the mainstream virus checkers like Norton or McAfee. €50 euro spent now may save you a lot more in the future.

There is a free download from Microsoft called Defender, which is no harm to use either.

might have something useful on it.

Thanks Club Man that's a real help. Perhaps if you looked through them you'd find out that they all weren't either free or that relatively easy to use. Seeing as we obviously aren't all as smart as yourself I thought I'd start a thread and see if others had suffered from the same situation.

I already have Norton and it did block it but I thought it was an update and allowed it to install and now cannot get it off.

Thanks Club Man that's a real help. Perhaps if you looked through them you'd find out that they all weren't either free or that relatively easy to use.
You never specified "free" and "easy to use" as requirements in your original query. :rolleyes:

Is your PC a Dell PC? Can you restore your PC to a point prior to you allowing this program to install itself. It has worked for me in the past.

Also try your Nortons settings. If you allowed Nortons to ignore it it might be in the quarantine or exclusion settings. If it is you can tell Nortons not to exclude it from the scan and then run a full scan. Hopefully it will pick it up again and you can delete it.

These are pretty basic solutions as I am not that technical but they have worked for me when my brother it okay to something he shouldn't.

I agree with Clubman - re-install windows OS and start from scratch . This wil definately get rid of your problem

[broken link removed] go to that site, look for hijackthis help thread, follow instructions as on site and I'd be fairly confident someone will help tell you what needs to be done. Sounds like a pity to go and wipe your hard drive, unless you can back up any saved information first.

I agree with Clubman - re-install windows OS and start from scratch . This wil definately get rid of your problem

Better yet, dump it out the window and order a brand new one! :D

Actually I've had my system plagued by spyware/malware a couple of times and have had to deal with it each time learning a lot along the way. And it is very satisfying to recover from it yourself without resorting to anything drastic.

Unfortunately I can't remember the actual forums I found, but they use tools like HijackThis! to analyse your system and help to diagnose the problem properly. Look out for forums that deal with this stuff and read through them carefully.

I now have a proper antivirus/spyware solution and haven't had a problem in over two years.

download superantispyware, update the definiitions and run a compelte scan. it will get rid of this. no need whatsover to re-install

Thanks for all your help guys, I got in touch with Norton via their on-line chat forum. They managed to clean up my computer to remove the VirusRemover2008 and other stuff through remote access to my computer. I just had to sit there and watch them do it.....

I would feel a bit uneasy giving someone remote access to my computer, I wonder if this is a safe procedure.

Try Malwarebytes Anti malware.. it's free and it removed it for me...
just google it and you'll find the download for it.

Back