Verifying No. Owners on Pre Owned Car

Goggin

Hi - I'm looking at a privately purchasing a second hand car. When I enter the details in Cartell.ie it says that there are four previous owners.
The seller swears blind that he is the second owner.
Is there somewhere that I can verify the number of owners for certain or get details of who the owners were?

Cartell, AFAIK,has been proven to be unreliable in the past.

Are you also having the car mechanically checked? If so, most providing these services will also confirm no. of owners, e.g. Carcheck, who I would recommend.

The seller swears blind that he is the second owner.

This begs the question how does the seller know? The two positions mightn't be incompatible, as the seller may have been misled when they purchased.

Service history is more important than number of owners: I'd go by that.

Ask to see the Car Registration. The number of previous owners will be detailed within. Section J2 I think

I had a look at the service history and it is only for the previous owner and the current owner which makes it seem fairly straightforward.

I'm meeting the guy tomorrow so will see if I can get to the bottom of it. Thanks for the replies and I'll post progress
G

I didnt think there was such a thing as a log book anymore? Is there?

It seems the Cartell.ie figure was right - I rang the vehicle registration office and they confirmed that there 4 owners but wouldnt expand upon that.

There is always a chance there is a fairly innocent explanation - e.g. car registered to garage as a demo. for a few months.

Back