Vera Pauw.

joer

The FAI have sacked Vera , after becoming the first coach to bring an Irish women's soccer team to a World Cup finals . They had a good tournament despite been in a very difficult group.
I think this is a very bad decision. What do others think

The players were the deciding factor. Many of them wouldn't have played for her again.

The players were the deciding factor , wrongly, in my opinion.
It's not a results business anymore it's a case of watch your back ..
Very difficult to perform as a coach/captain/manager in a team sport if you don't have the team's respect and support. Huge amount depends on psychology and rapport.

I don't know why Vera Pauw was sacked - I know her players threw her under the bus though. Her tough management techniques were in question. Stuart Lancaster's Tough Tuesday Training Techniques are infamous in Leinster. Leinster keep winning - Rep of Ireland Womens Team won't. Nothing new in that and Ireland's capacity to self destruct continues as normal. Now back to near empty stadia. We are now back to the players picking the team. When did we see that before? - Ask Eoin Hand.

Last edited:
If they hadn't qualified she probably would have had a better chance of surviving. The more successful you are the more you are questioned it seems. Why should players have the power to influence major decisions.

Tail wags dog IMO. I'll ask the question again :- When will other team sports apply themselves to learning from the Irish International Men's rugby teams, senior & U21?

[EDIT] and, thank you for your service Vera, wishing you success in the future.

Her tough management techniques were in question. Stuart Lancaster's Tough Tuesday Training Techniques are infamous in Leinster.
I don't think that's a fair comparison. While the Tuesday training sessions are notoriously tough all the players speak highly of Lancaster as a coach and as a person. The problem with Pauw was her personality and way in which she interacted as a person, not the toughness or otherwise of her coaching. There's no way Cullen or Lancaster would ever speak about their players in public the way she did.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. While the Tuesday training sessions are notoriously tough all the players speak highly of Lancaster as a coach and as a person. The problem with Pauw was her personality and way in which she interacted as a person, not the toughness or otherwise of her coaching. There's no way Cullen or Lancaster would ever speak about their players in public the way she did.
Stuart Lancaster and Vera Pauw are WINNERS, the FAI (including some of their leading senior male and female players) are nothing but LOSERS. Some of their recent "performances" on and off the field reflect this.

I wish to be associated with @mathpac in wishing Vera only the best in her future career.

Stuart Lancaster and Vera Pauw are WINNERS, the FAI (including some of their leading senior male and female players) are nothing but LOSERS. Some of their recent "performances" on and off the field reflect this.

I wish to be associated with @mathpac in wishing Vera only the best in her future career.
Stephen Kenny look out. If you get Ireland to the Euros or the World cup your job is not safe :rolleyes:

Stephen Kenny look out. If you get Ireland to the Euros or the World cup your job is not safe :rolleyes:
In fairness, that scenario is highly unlikely to play out :D

And you can quote me on the following in 2031. A girl called Katie will score for Ireland in the world cup at Wembley - said through the eyes of her proud godfather. (U10 leading scorer 2022/23 :D)

As for the OP, she was not sacked. Contact is over, no new contract offered. A certain player exerts a lot of influence in the squad and this does not bode well. Pauw comes across as a non nonsense professional and will most likely move on to a bigger team at Ireland's loss.

The thing with international football players is small country, you can't change the pool of players, you are stuck with them. They have more power therefore than at club level.

In an ideal world, coaches would only ever be retained or fired on the basis on their results relative to reasonable expectations.

In the real world, it’s very different. Relationships, reputations, perception, power struggles, money etc all contribute to a situation where results can be an afterthought. You only have to look at Spain to show how little winning actually matters.

It took the FAI six hours to decide that Pauw should go. It suggests that there was a lot more going on than an evaluation of her performance over the last couple of years.

Tail wags dog IMO. I'll ask the question again :- When will other team sports apply themselves to learning from the Irish International Men's rugby teams, senior & U21?

[EDIT] and, thank you for your service Vera, wishing you success in the future.
Irish rugby operates in the equivalent of a pub league compared to our national football teams. There's no comparison around the levels of competition they face and the path to the top in those sports.

Vera was a victim of player power. Her number was up as soon as McCabe had a pop at her during that last game. It shouldn't happen like that but that's modern sport. Saying that, she did seem to be a very defensive and cautious coach

So . I suppose McCabe and co will have a say on who gets the next job and how long he or she will be allowed to stay. It will be very interesting to see if they qualify for the next Euros ......

And Vera Pauw rises above everything with her public statement and shows her stature and professionalism.

Unfortunately the same can't be said for the fai.

Typical of interfering executives who probably know very little about the game.. Vera a true professional..

Typical of interfering executives who probably know very little about the game.. Vera a true professional..
Quote from the Irish Times

“Following an investigation by the National Women’s Soccer League, last January she was banned from coaching professionally in the United States.”

Hard to ignore this when a contract’s up for renewal. Imagine she was a male managing the womens’ team.

Last edited:
But we are talking about the USA here though and this story has been doing the rounds for a long time , nothing new here.. . If you want to go back far enough stuff can be resurrected about anyone , and for the right price everyone..:oops:

But we are talking about the USA here though and this story has been doing the rounds for a long time , nothing new here.. . If you want to go back far enough stuff can be resurrected about anyone , and for the right price everyone..:oops:
But the ban is current.

You can understand a reluctance to employ someone who’s banned in another country for her treatment of players.

Back