vents required

looper

Renovating old house. Not intending on putting in vents in rooms is this a nesscity will have a n open fire in the living put will be installing a carbon monoxide detector for peace of mind. Should i be installing vents as i read that opening your windows for 10 mins a day will suffice ther circulation of air. Any thoughts?

Vents must be fitted in areas that carbon based fuels are burnt, (unless the appliance is room sealed)

When your fire burns it creates , carbon dioxide,C02 the 02 is important as the fire has sufficient levels of oxygen. In the depths of winter when you have a big fire on, it will consume massive amounts of oxygen. When the fire doesn't have required oxygen it creates Carbon Monoxide CO.

As your home is old, it probably has alot nooks and crannies that allow air in and out, so ventilation was pretty natural. When you renovate, you will seal the house more so than before.

I would strongly advice you put a vent in your room, pick the spot carefully and you can forget about it.

The window opened for 10 minutes sounds like it was made up and has no factual basis as far as I can see.

If you are changing the windows , get windows with vents built into them that you can open & close as required

Vents for carbon based fuel fires should be of the non-closeable variety!

Is it best to fit the vent as far away from open fire as possible any guidelines?

Back