Vancouver Island

jsn

Hi.
Heading for a week to Vancouver Island (3 Adults). Can anyone advise if we should base ourselves in the middle of the island and travel each day to different locations or should we be prepared to look for accommodation each night. The third person traveling with us is elderly so I thought that having a base to stay might give him the option to relax while we went sightseeing.
I heard that the island is not too big and easy to get around. Any advise is appreciated. Thank you

thinking of holiday in Vancouver next summer and wonder what flight arrangements you have made and if there is any advice you would offer re purchasing flights?

I heard that the island is not too big and easy to get around.
Maybe a Canadian told you this? In Canadian terms Vancouver Island is not that big but, remember Canadians wouldn't think twice about doing a ten hour car drive

Vancouver Island itself is half the size of Ireland and a lot harder to get around. Roads are winding. There is one major-ish road that runs the length of the island. Every other road spurs off this one road. A trip from Victoria to Port Hardy can take nearly seven hours, don't let a map fool you.

Trying to pack all of the island into a week is a bit much. You wouldn't try and pack all of munster into a week? Have a single base but don't expect to see the whole island. If you're there for a week a base in and around Nanaimo would serve you well. This makes trips to Tofino, Victoria and the Gulf Islands easier. I'd put northern Vancouver Island on back burner unless you plan to do a lot of driving.

thinking of holiday in Vancouver next summer and wonder what flight arrangements you have made and if there is any advice you would offer re purchasing flights?

Olivia I fly a lot back and forth between Ireland and Vancouver, so if you want some indepth advice PM me.

Yeah I agree with post above definitely travel around and stay in different hotels with your car. V I is a great place, my fav was tofino where we went a trip for about 85 dollars and saw sea lions, whales, bald eagles, hot springs and a temperate rain forest, one of the best experiences we have ever had. We stayed in whalers hostel, it was the nicest hostel I have ever seen and you can get a private a room with a double bed and there a humming birds feeding off sugar water at the windows of the rooms. Skip nanaimo in my opinion, thought it was a strange place !

Back