Vacuum packed storage bags

waltzer

I have seen these advertised but haven't seen them in the shops. Does anyone know where you get them?

Bought these a few years ago and never found them any good, they don't seem to keep the air out over time and you just end up with a cumbersome plastic bag full of clothes you should probably throw away anyhow! If anyone has actually used them successfully (as you seem to see them in adds!) I'd be interested to hear!

I was hoping to use them when moving just to reduce the size of the boxes of clothes. My mover charges me by cubic metres and not by weight so I thought that these would work for that. Do they keep air in for a week anyway?

the ones I used kept the air out until I had to move them...so say I did the air suction thing on the floor..they looked great (just like the add!) but then when I wanted to move them the seal seemed to undo really easily and air started to seep in...Just my experience...they may be better quality these days..

i dont know if this is relevant but i worked in a buthchers where meat was vacuum packed quite often and had to be kept sealed, this was never a problem when moving etc...... like anything, id suggest its the quality of the mechanical apparatus used to vacuum and seal.... they do work, but use a high quality vacuumer.....

I think the problem with the space saver bags is the seal. Because its designed to be reuseable it has to be 'openable', hence the problem. Anything heat sealed or more permanently sealed (as in butchers!) would no doubt work a treat.

I found them great for moving - that was until OH picked the bags up by the corners & tore the seals. Got some replacement bags but can't remember if they were from Dunnes or Debenhams. They're not as big as the original bags so you need to be careful not to overfill them. I do find them good for storing the spare Duvet & pillows.

Tesco also sometimes do have them.

I got mine in heatons and found them rubbish, reinflated after a while. If you are going to get them get the largest size you can if you planning to store blankets or duvets.

i got them in argos and was very impressed, until, as everyone else has described, the air got in and they were just an expensive big plastic bag again.

Hi waltzer,
I agree with other posts, the bags will eventually refill with air - the problem is the seal. However if you just want to use them to compact stuff for moving then you have two options:
1. Improve the seal and the valve with strong adhesive tape eg. the wide brown shiny type.
2. To save yourself some money, buy some extra stong rubbish bags. Pack the stuff, gather the neck of the back and put your vaccum cleaner into the opening. You will have to be careful to keep the vaccum away from the sides of the bags. Then wind lots of tape around it to keep it compacted. Or, you could put it into a box and tape that.
I managed to get a duvet, 2 pillows and two sheets into a box small enough to be allowed on board an aeroplane as handbaggage.

I found them very handy and effective for packing suitcases when going away and haven't had any problems; I've never used them for long term storage.

it sounds like they're ok...

if they work originally then you can always compact and then tape the bags or put them in boxes... I don't think they'd re-inflate with 'explosive' force!

For long term storage they seem a bit dodgy, but for moving they seem ok.

Got some in Woodies a couple of months back, valve seems to be of decent quality, and I don't think they've let in much if any air in that time while stuffed with the winter duvets!
Leo

Back