UTV Broadband - any good?

VanZan

UTV 3mb Clicksilver Plus is both faster and cheaper than the 2mb Eircom package I have. But are they any good? I've only ever had one outage with Eircom in the year and a half I've been with them so I'm reluctant to change. However the prospect of going from 3mb to 7.6mb with UTV when Eircom finishes its upgrades is very enticing.

Am I right in thinking Clubman (aka God) is with UTV? Oh yes one other question...will the wireless router I have been using with Eircom work with UTV? Do I even own it after 17months? Thanks for any help.

Do a search for existing threads about UTV broadband. You'll fine one in which I report some problems that I (not god) continue to have with sporadic outages.

Where does 7.6mb[ps?] come from?!?

Eircom are upgrading (eventually) and 2mb will go to 3mb, 3mb to 7.6mb, 4mb to 10mb, 6mb to 12mb.

[broken link removed]

A few people (including myself) upgraded from UTV's 2Mbps package to 3Mbps only to find that they charged for it but they or the line could not deliver it and had to manually notify them and claim a credit for payments made for a service not delivered. I would always verify that ISPs are delivering on what they promise. To be honest 2Mbps is more than enough for me personally the vast majority of the time.

With UTV for more than 3 years; require it for work as well as home use, very happy with service.

About 2 outages that I recall in that time, longest was over night I think.

Same here. With UTV for about 2 years and no issues. Only 2 - 3 very short outages of say 4 - 5 hours. I think one of these was down to an Eircom issue.

I've only been using UTV broadband since May but so far I'm very happy with it. I haven't experienced any problems with it yet. I'm on the 2mb package and that's fast enough for my usage.

I'm very happy with Utv's broadband for a few years now. Started out with ClickSilverPlus (2Mbps) which was upgraded to 3Mbps about a year ago with no extra charge. Eircom increased their charge for 3Mbs at that time and changed the name to Broadband Home Professional.

It's been costing €34.49 + €6.99 for Talk anytime. Yesterday I noticed Utv was offering 3Mb for €23.99/month so made a phone call and was told to request change to new price offering. Better still, cost of Talk Anytime is now €9.99 but I will stay at the old price of €6.99. Only caveat is a charge of €59.99 if cancelled within six months. That's a saving of €10.49/month.

I've just checked eircom's pricing and it's €48.40 for 3Mb. Only problem with Utv is accessing my on-line account. They're having a problem with this I was told. Of course speed is seldom 3Mbps (2.57Mb today) but that's OK.

Of course speed is seldom 3Mbps (2.57Mb today) but that's OK.
You will almost certainly NEVER get the nominal rated maximum throughput on any broadband service due to many factors (e.g. protocol overhead, contention ratios, interference etc.).

Back